GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have read that some people have located their XM antenna inside the trunk lids inner liner. I live in NJ and wonder that being further north than some of you if this location could be a problem (the XM satellites are way south – like at the equator if something.).

I have a 2006 and I have the seat, Meter Panel and Top Shelter off the bike (I am doing other things as well) and would like to know the easiest way into the trunk lid liner. Thanks for any help you can offer.

By the way - I didn't know that you could mount the antenna under plastic so I went out to the car this morning and covered the antenna (which is on the roof) with my helmet and the reception did not change.

Still not convinced I took a plastic bucket and put it over my helmet - still no change in reception. So I'm guessing that plastic doesn’t block the signal at all.

But I did note that if I put my hand anywhere over the antenna the signal is lost. I guess I should have gone to engineering school

Thanks, RIDE SAFE

DonNJ

·
Extra Spicy Seasoned Member
1,448 Posts
When not on my bike the XM is used in my garage/shop where I spend a lot of time. The antenna works thru the ceiling, roof and a lot of trees in the way to the south. One of them is a big redwood. The XM is not too happy when it's raining and the trees are wet. The trees are the biggest problem when aiming the antenna. A few inches on way or the other makes a big difference. I am located close to the oregon border. Don't know how that compares to NJ. My XM antenna is located inside the trunk lid and has signal dropout in the same locations as the one in our car. When it is on the bike and the bike is in the right spot in the garage the XM will still work.
The signal will pass thru dry wood. Does not like wet things like wet hands, live trees, metal etc.

·
Registered
85 Posts
XM ant. location

Central Washington State here. Put my ant. on the dash behind the windshield. Never notice it while driving and gets good reception. Easy to run the lead along the base of the dash and behind the trim.

Dog

·
Registered
85 Posts
XM ant. location

Central Washington State here. Put my ant. on the dash behind the windshield. Never notice it while driving and gets good reception. Easy to run the lead along the base of the dash and behind the trim.

Dog

·
Registered
2 Posts
XM Radio

I just picked up my new 06 and I had the dealer put my antenna under the font nose cowlling near the GPS antenna. Signal strength is great. I get better reception there than I did on my 86 with it on the dash. Radio goes in the left pocket plugged into the 12 volt ac socket. :)

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Man, my Sirius mus thave problems. It cuts out pretty bad even under a few trees going down the road. It actually seemed to work better up in the Smokey Mountains last week. I got a new antenna coming, maybe that's the problem. I have never trusted it yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts