GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious about different mounting locations for xm antennas. Anybody have some pics? I've already considered putting it on the handle bar with the Cycle Gagets mount, but I would prefer to hide it somewhere else.

On the XMFan site, I saw an install on a Harley dresser where he put his under the plastic of his front fairing. Anybody tried that? Seems like the reception would be comprimised. He says he hasn't had any problems yet but I wonder...

Thanks in Advance!

·
Registered
619 Posts
tinker

I have mine mounted on the nose below the slit in the front......may go to the mount that Jon Sargeant is making......if i can get it off...lol

bruce aka 'the blue trawler"

:blw1:

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Hey Tinker,

I mounted one on an ElectraGlide and tried hard to find a good (easy) location under the fairing to get good reception. We never did find one... I figured slapping it on top of the metal radio, right in the middle of the fairing would work well, but it was pretty crappy.

We ended up installing it down under the fairing by one of the fork tubes - it's well hidden, but still not the best location.

The bracket that Bruce is referring to will slide behind my new handlebar bracket and put the antenna behind the radio, similar to this

but hopefully cheaper than $20.

I mounted mine on the brake reservoir, and even though it's the older, larger antenna it blends right in.

The new, smaller antenna will probably look even better. You'll get a lot of other responses, many have mounted it on the dash, some down below, under the gauge panel in front of the speedometer.

The nice thing about that long antenna cable is that you can stick some velcro or double-back tape on it and try various locations, driving directions, passenger loads, etc. until you find something that works for you. While testing, you can even run the wire next to the seat, etc. until you know exactly where you want it, then you can route it permanently.

Good luck,

·
Registered
759 Posts
put my old style antena on top of the front brake resevoir. blends in with the bike and looks like a factory something or other...lol....great reception....oh yes, I used velcro for the attachment.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i put mine right above the left speaker, on the dash shelf. used velcro, seems to be just fine.

loren

·
Registered
271 Posts
Remove the meter panel...velcro it between the clear plastic gauge display and and dash...or velcro it to the meter panel above the speedometer and below the dash.

It will be out of sight and work great.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Has anyone mounted the antenna behind
the passenger's backrest next to the controller
unit for the remote, underneath the plastic?
If so, how is the reception?

·
Registered
307 Posts
G1NOMAD said:
Has anyone mounted the antenna behind
the passenger's backrest next to the controller
unit for the remote, underneath the plastic?
If so, how is the reception?
I had mine there. It didn't work very well. Never heard a complete song without the signal dropping out. It may have as much to do with where you live as where you place the antenna. I live in Ohio and I tried moving the antenna all over the bike, never did work well. I since went to Sirius radio and it works very well.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Antenna location

I have mine mounted on the Honda luggage rack on the trunk.
Riding solo I never have drop outs. With SO on , I get a few but they are so minor, they don't bother me.

G

·
0 Posts
I placed mine on a large steel washer (painted black) and velcro'd to the middle of the dash. Traveled all through the mountains and never lost a signal. The steel washer makes a difference.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Stuck my Roady XM on the bike today, took some double faced
foam tape and put about 100 miles on the bike looking for a
good spot for the antenna. Tried top of dash in center, off to
one side, top of brake and clutch reserviors, top of a mirror,
opt of the trunk under the rack, top of the spoiler, even the
top of my helmet. Conclusion was there is not best place. Not
one would compete with the top of the CRV. So, in the interest of
compromise, I think I will put it on top of the front brake reservior
and mount the Roady behind the key over the Goldwing emblem.

Good news was that none of the mounting seemed to have any
effect on the GPS V sat reception. Maybe I got lucky there.

But, it was a good day for a ride.....:lol:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have tried 3 different locations. Top center of dash works almost perfect. If you hide it, there will be dropped signals. It need an unobstructed view to the south for best reception.

Go with the easiest first since pulling wires into the trunk is a little difficult.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Sounds like maybe the top of our
helmets might be the best place.
:p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts