GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help needed to repair XM antenna lead from the antenna to the radio. The lead on mine was damaged so I cut out damaged line but cannot get my splice to work - no signal. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
The antenna lead is a coaxial type cable. This means that there is an inner conductor (usually a solid copper wire, then there is and insulator around that inner wire. Around the insulator is a braided conductor, and then the outer covering. You need to solder the inner conductor together and then provide some insulation. Then you need to solder the outer braided conductor together so that it doesn't make any contact with the inner conductor. Then insulate the whole connection. If done carefully this will work. There are some good pictures and additional instructions at this link. http://goldwing.eurekaboy.com/shortencoax.htm
Thanks to Eurekaboy.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Help needed to repair XM antenna lead from the antenna to the radio. The lead on mine was damaged so I cut out damaged line but cannot get my splice to work - no signal. Any suggestions?
Good Luck!

I tried to repair one of mine and never did get it to work. I have had lots of experience soldering coax, printed circuits and most other stuff but just couldn't get that antenna wire splice to work!

·
Registered
437 Posts
antena

I don't know what xm you have, I have a skifi2 and I found complete car kits at delphi.com for only 9.99 includes complete kit with antena, I don't know if this will help since I don't know what unit u have howie

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
A friend had a little accident with his external GPS antenna which was similar construction. I cut out the damaged piece and resoldered it. Works fine.

I also shortened an XM antenna for use on the bike which also works.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts