GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
I put mine in the box up in the closet. :lol:

I know, I know.............ain't what you wanted to hear, I just couldn't resist.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
We mounted both of our bikes XM antenna on the dash with velcro and we have great reception.

·
Registered
457 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
XM

I have the same XM unit mounted like trouble and get great reception here in the Washington DC area. However, I have not found a need for the strap. The unit has never come loose and I have travelled some really bumpy roads in my travels. The mount comes with an ant plate for perfect mounting..

Good luck and safe riding.

Joe

·
Registered
206 Posts
The mount from cyclegadgets.com can't be beat in my opinion and it comes with 2 srews to keep it from bouncing off the plate even though it is magnetized but I just use the top screw and that seems perfect and takes less time to get off to use in my car.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
If you were talking about a GXM-30 antenna for a Garmin, I have the Cyclegadgets XM-30 mount that mounts onto my 478 mount. I just unscrew my ram mount and put it all away when I leave the bike.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Just velcroed mine to the top of the clutch fluid reservoir

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Kikker, how do you channel surf with the receiver in the trunk? Can the remote work like that?

goldwingnut, that is a very clever idea.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
ElBando,
I have what is called an IR Remote Extender. it's a long cable with IR sensors on both ends. One of the sensors is just in front of the satellite receiver, the other is in my front left speaker grill.

The only drawback to setting it up like this is that you can't see the receiver display and the only way you can change channels is by presetting the buttons on the remote that comes with the satellite receiver.

I did it this way because I don't like things mounted on the handlebars. It protect the receiver from the weather, I don't ever have to take it off and I don't need to worry about someone taking it.

It works great I just have to have my remote handy in a pocket.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Kikker, thanks for the info....where can I buy one?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Also Kikker, if you have the time could you tell me how you ran the wires, and got them into the trunk? I'd like to do that too. Right now I set the channel, and stuff everything into the left dash pocket and go. but I always get to where ever I'm going and forget it's there, and leave it. I'm suprised I still have it. If it was always locked away, I'd feel much better.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
NHiley , sounds like the animal kingdom at your place are You building an Arc?
I like that an animal lover that says a lot!!!

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
This is where I order the IR Remote Extender that I used. There are other sources as well.

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop ... /SFV/30046

Keep in mind the Sirius Satellite reciever I have transmits through the right side mounted stock AM/FM antenna into the factory radio. I don't know how your XM transmitter works.

Remove the seat and find a 12 volt power sources for the IR Remote Extender and satellite receiver. There is a 12 volt power connector in the rear area under the seat that is hot only with the ignition on. I have mine temporarly connected to the battery.

The longest cable of the IR Remote Extender is the one with the IR sensor that should be mounted in front of the satellite receiver in line with the IR sensor on the Satellite receiver.

I ran the wires through the grommet in the bottom of the trunk where the CD player would normally go. It was a little difficult to do this and if I were doing it again I would drill a small hole and install a rubber grommet just for that application.

Feed the IR cable along the frame and under the upper plastic housing to the front, depending on where you want to mount the other end of the sensor.

The short end of the sensor cable is the one that should be located in the front fairing area.

I would recommend that you do not mount the front IR sensor behind the Speaker grill because the grill does cause a minor signal reception problem. The front IR sensor should be mounted in the open somewhere in a hidden location.

I removed the fairing trim, left headlight and rear shock control panel and fair bolts to feed the IR cable under and through the forward upper plastic compartment that houses the radio.

All of the screws will need to be removed to access the area where the antenna is to be mounted in the trunk lid between the plastic liner and the top. I removed the passenger backrest and routed the antenna cable through the holes with the stock wiring harness. Attach a piece of Velcro or a small amount of Silicon onto the back of the antenna to attach to the topside of the black plastic liner. Be sure to mount the antenna flat with the topside of the antenna up. There is only a small area that is large enough and flat enough to do this.

The satellite receiver is mounted on the right side onto one of the 2 aftermarket clear plastic accessory trays that can be mounted in the trunk.

Remember to turn the power off to the receiver when your Wings is not running because it will drain the battery very fast. The other option is to attach the 12 volt power source that is only hot with the ignition on.

The satellite receiver that I have will retain the memorized preset buttons on the remote for a period of time. I have no idea how long that is.

There are a few minor changes that I will be making on the system I have.

If there are any parts of this information that you don't understand or have more question you can PM me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts