GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
All they do is repeat the same songs over and over again.
It's why I canxed XM on the bike and downloaded music to my phone instead. Still have XM in the truck. Much easier changing stations in the truck with the push of a button.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Have you ever listened to one of their stations for a long time? All they do is repeat the same songs over and over again. I only keep it on the bike for the weather display. The music is sub par at best.
Amen! Why anyone would pay $5 for music that they can't choose is beyond me, when spotify will let you listen to just about anything you want, WHEN you want. And you don't have to deal with the nonsense of XM.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Have you ever listened to one of their stations for a long time? All they do is repeat the same songs over and over again. I only keep it on the bike for the weather display. The music is sub par at best.
Ah, you're getting old and decrapitated! :) There's only a limited supply of original music out there and the rest is either a cover or sampled. Originality is a thing of the past.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have/had four vehicles with XM but I am so tired of trying to keep up with their renewal system I'm done. It seems that we forget to watch for the monthly charges at the end of term and have to call threatening to cancel, then transferred to a CSR to renegotiate another 6mnth or year.

I am now using amazon music, I can listen to HD and super HD music. Sounds much better plus I can download it to phone so no data charges. I also use Pandora which I like as well. I have USB loaded as too.

Anyone else ditched XM and other services.
We maintain three vehicles with XM and just for that reason, we have all of them renew at the same time every 6 months. It's about $27/vehicle and it's become easier to renew the same price subscription because when/if we cancel it is three radios at once. This has worked for several years now and I've had my Iphone overheat several times on in the tank cubby plus reception is only as good as your phone. Hope this helps but I totally understand your frustration because we were there.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
There's only a limited supply of original music out there and the rest is either a cover or sampled. Originality is a thing of the past.
Same with movies.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The XM sound quality is terrible. Never subscribed and never will. Have it free on a vehicle we just bought but its just like cable TV, 500 channels and you watch four or five.
Waste.

·
Registered
861 Posts
We maintain three vehicles with XM and just for that reason, we have all of them renew at the same time every 6 months. It's about $27/vehicle and it's become easier to renew the same price subscription because when/if we cancel it is three radios at once. This has worked for several years now and I've had my Iphone overheat several times on in the tank cubby plus reception is only as good as your phone. Hope this helps but I totally understand your frustration because we were there.
Using Prime now - at home you can quickly download hundreds of songs to your cell phone. It is Free for access to over 1,000,000 songs if you already have Prime. As I do have Prime I downloaded Prime music which is controlled through Apple Car Play or Android Auto. I do not depend on cell phone service for streaming music - I don't pay for unlimited data and no need to purchase additional.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Try the HD and super HD songs, you have to pay extra for HD but the bitrate is much higher. I use Amazon almost daily in my business, it saves me time but not always the cheapest. With prime, you get music for free. As you noted download at home and no streaming cost. I like having a playlist depending on my mood, plus I do not have to listen to the same XM songs over and over. The only reason for xm might be radar

·
Banned
78 Posts
I Guess.. If You Sit In The Saddle Long Enough... You Would Here A Few Repeats..
My Jaunts Are 20 Miles At A Time Or Less.. So, It Works Great For My Situation.

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
PUT THE XM ON YOUR PHONE AS AN APP.
NO COST.
STREAM IT. FREE XM.
NO ANTENNA NEEDED

·
Registered
11 Posts
How much extra is it for the weather and traffic for our bikes? The antennea is installed but I haven't set up the service on the bike yet. I too pay $5/month/vehicle in my two cars. I make the phone call once a year to keep it at that price. I do enjoy the service. Thanks

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
How much extra is it for the weather and traffic for our bikes? The antennea is installed but I haven't set up the service on the bike yet. I too pay $5/month/vehicle in my two cars. I make the phone call once a year to keep it at that price. I do enjoy the service. Thanks
You can always try to negotiate for the weather also. It can't hurt.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just went through this today. I have 2 cars and the wing with traffic/weather. All 3 expired at different times. I used their messaging where you basically text their rep. Started out with 3 different prices and ended up with all 3 expiring at same time at 50% of what I was being ripped off for originally. Well worth my time!

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have/had four vehicles with XM but I am so tired of trying to keep up with their renewal system I'm done. It seems that we forget to watch for the monthly charges at the end of term and have to call threatening to cancel, then transferred to a CSR to renegotiate another 6mnth or year.

I am now using amazon music, I can listen to HD and super HD music. Sounds much better plus I can download it to phone so no data charges. I also use Pandora which I like as well. I have USB loaded as too.

Anyone else ditched XM and other services.
Exact same experience. I have the urge to shower after speaking to them on the phone. I’ve found the only way to be certain you won’t continue to get charged is to cancel completely and throw out the junk mail they continue to send you for the rest of your life. They have the same sales technique as a carnie.

Reactions: Bayrec

·
Registered
126 Posts
Lot of negatives.....but for me there are two overriding reasons why i will continue with my subscription:
1) Tom Petty
2) MLB
The Petty channel is just outstanding. Sure, you will hear all the radio hits often but the man has made so much great music, I hear a new tune that I have never heard before almost daily. Plus they have guest DJ's , band members, engineers, and others doing shows. So there is more than just the music.
MLB - Nothing better (other than Petty) than listening to a ballgame on a long drive

·
Registered
436 Posts
I too hate the yearly negotiation. I’ve found it easier to have a couple shots of tequila before making the call. I’ve got 2 radios. The one on my wing and a portable radio. The portable radio has a lifetime prepaid plan on it. There are times I just consider putting the lifetime plan on the wing and trashing the portable radio and have have to deal with them again.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I have Sirrus/XM on two vehicles. Pay full price on one, discounted on the other. Don't have it on any of my bikes, can't hear on there so why bother?
I love hearing about all the angst at renewal time. I have enough stress without adding to it. CC gets billed automatically and the Music keeps playing...

·
Registered
861 Posts
Lot of negatives.....but for me there are two overriding reasons why i will continue with my subscription:
1) Tom Petty
2) MLB
The Petty channel is just outstanding. Sure, you will hear all the radio hits often but the man has made so much great music, I hear a new tune that I have never heard before almost daily. Plus they have guest DJ's , band members, engineers, and others doing shows. So there is more than just the music.
MLB - Nothing better (other than Petty) than listening to a ballgame on a long drive
Not saying Amazon has everything that Sirius XM plays on the Petty channel but they supposedly have over a million songs that are included in Prime membership for free. I miss the news but not much else. If they gave everybody the deal all the time, I wouldn't be surprised if their number of subscribers wouldn't triple. As for sports, being a fan of Detroit teams has been less than entertaining for several years.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a lifetime subscription, which is the lifetime of the radio.....I kept it in the freezer and would get it out every few months and fire it up. Meantime, I had free service thru my house via internet and my computer. After about 20 years they decided the lifetime was up and cancelled it. I am not a fan of these crooks, I play hardball whenever my truck comes up.

Kevin

·
Registered
613 Posts
I guess I'm one of those that loves my XM...BUT, I'm still riding my 2009 and was offered "XM for Life" when I bought it. I paid about $400 for that back then and have not paid anything else since...other than around $10/quarter for the Weather option. I know they don't offer that deal anymore, so I am fortunate. I don't listen to anything current and like the Prime Country, so I don't mind if they repeat stuff. And if I really get tired of it, I just listen to my MP3 with a whole bunch of stuff on it! (I just noticed klook's post before mine. I hope they don't do that to me anytime soon. I have been diagnosed with Stage 4 kidney disease, so I hope to sell it sometime in the next few years. Maybe they'll leave me alone until that time.)

21 - 40 of 49 Posts