GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm BAAAAAck!

Day three. Took the unit up to Best Buy and some pimply faced 12 year old kid in the installation section said it checks out fine.

HELP! XM Commander. "Bat" wire hooked directly to + post on battery.
Ground wire hooked to - screw on accessory panel (next to fuse box on left side)
"Acc" wire hooked to + screw on accessory panel.
Display plugged in and displaying 7 channels including "preview 1"
XM Antenna plugged in and sitting on top of a car roof in the driveway.
Aux wire from left pocket plugged into xm unit.
(I also tried using the FM antenna interface with same results)

I get no sound, no static, nothing. Sometimes I get a click which is spaced out about once per second. When that happens, the display remains blank.

I've fiddled with the output level and the FM pre-set choices (when hooked up through the on-board antenna) nada.

I've also substituted a tape player onto the auxiliary wire and it works fine. The regular radio works fine. It's a total FM (.....ing Mystery)

Help me if you can. Thanks

P.S. My face doesn't look like the smiling picture right now.

G

·
Sid, try a set of headphones on the line out of the Commander to see if it's the Commander or the Aux in on your Wing. You do have the Aux input selected, don't you! I have a Roady playing through my Aux input. Eric

·
Registered
729 Posts
Dont know bout the commander but the skyfi comes with cigarette lighter adapter that reduces 12 volts to 6. could u possibly be gettin to many volts to unit??????

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, the Aux button is pushed on the radio and other equipment makes noise through the Aux line when that button is selected. Don't know about the 6/12 volt thing as paperwork that came with the unit is somewhat minimal. I just figured there's not a lot of 6 volt systems around since the 50s. But could be........ Anybody know for sure??

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I had to refer back to the manual for the fm input using the rf modulator. Heard of the rf modulator eliminated, but not done by me. Also there is the volume level control output. Sounds like something simple, but overlooked.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Sid Moen said:
Yep, the Aux button is pushed on the radio and other equipment makes noise through the Aux line when that button is selected. Don't know about the 6/12 volt thing as paperwork that came with the unit is somewhat minimal. I just figured there's not a lot of 6 volt systems around since the 50s. But could be........ Anybody know for sure??
Hi Sid,

The XM Commander is definitely 12V. I installed one about two weeks ago and it is working perfectly.

The fused yellow wire is attached to the positive post of the battery.

The yellow w/red stripe is attached to my E/C Accessory block.

The ground wire is connected to my E/C ground block.

I purchased a 'Y' cable at Radio Shack that connects the audio out right and left located on the receiver to the auxillary input cable in the left fairing pocket. The Relay switch (or FM modulator piece) is not used. It sounds like you make be trying to connect the aux. connector into the FM out on the receiver. I believe the FM out is only used when connecting to the FM antenna on the bike. I'm betting a 'Y' cable will fix your problem.

I opted to install the Electrical Connection Accessory block and ground block to make it easier to hookup multiple accessories.

Are you consistently getting power to the controller/display? If so, it should be lighted regardless of any text displayed on it.

Pat

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Sid,

Just checking that your connection into the Commander is into the RCA outputs and not the small connection for the FM modulator (when not using the FM modulator). They are different outputs.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, now I think I get it. I have been plugging directly into the FM out on the unit. I'm going straight from here to the nearest Radio shack to get a "Y connector" to plug into the RCA outlets and then to the Auxiliary plug. If that doesn't do it, I think the next step will be to see how far the whole thing will fly if I pop the clutch with it under my tire.

Thanks for all the assists.....I'll let you know if it works.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Glad to see a little humor injected there Sid, my students were wondering why I was sitting in front of the computer laughing! I know just how you feel, I think I still have the record for lawn mower tossing!! I wouldn't have mentioned that record but it became public knowledge because my wife happened to see me do it!

Dwight

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It works.....I think.

Got it hooked up and installed. SOunds great except all I get is the introduction channel. No time to check further right now. Heading to Orlando for a few days on business.

Thanks for the assists everybody!!! :clap2:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Re: It works.....I think.

Sid Moen said:
Got it hooked up and installed. SOunds great except all I get is the introduction channel. No time to check further right now. Heading to Orlando for a few days on business.

Thanks for the assists everybody!!! :clap2:
Glad to hear it. The activation is only good for a couple of hours. The radio must be on for a few minutes during that period. It's a simple matter to call the XM 800 number and reactivate. It can be done anytime through their automated voice line.

Had the same thing happen. I activated on a Friday night but didn't get the radio installation finished until Sunday morning. A quick phone call took care of it.

Pat

1 - 13 of 13 Posts