GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been asked by a couple of people to come up with some mounting and weatherproofing options for this unit.

I made a quick couple of prototype brackets last night, along with a little plastic weather shield. If there was enough interest, I could see about getting these made out of ABS so that the back of the unit was completely enclosed.

Questions:
  • Is this even worth the trouble, or is the velcro mounting option fine?
    If you chose to mount it on one of the handlebar locations, would you prefer a snap-on "weather & prying eyes" cover, or a pivoting model that would flip open for use?
Don't worry about hurting my feelings on this "design", or its' implementation, as "I've got no dog in this fight" :) (And remember, this was a 30-minute fabrication at most...)

There are pictures available at this web page (so higher-resolution versions would be available).

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I mounted the wifes Commander with Ram products I had in the garage. She does not use a gps or radar detector on her Wing so I didn't have to coordinate all the goodies to suit her taste. I had looked at the Delphi so she would be able to use it on her Valkyrie and in her truck also. If you could come up with a waterproofing idea for the Commander that would be nice. I had all three arm lengths handy from Ram. I wired everything using the longest arm. That is the one she liked the best. So far she loves it. She has not rode in the rain since I have installed the XM. We will cross that bridge when we get there I guess. I keep small plastic bags on my bike for the GPS and radar detector. Probably do the same for hers until I see a better idea.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
The place of mounting and look would dictate choice. Probably the pivot cover, so not to loose track of it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts