GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, I suppose this has been beaten to death, I have just not seen it. My XM, while hooked to the Aux. input cable has a alternator whine. I made it better by using a couple of toroids, but it is still there enough to make that mode unusable. What has anyone else done to eliminate the whine? By the way, the newer XM Roady XT's have greatly diminished rf output when using the FM transmitter feature. XM has included a gizmo that is supposed to directly tap the radio antenna to get enough of a signal into the bike's FM radio. XM told me that the FCC made them reduce the output of these newer units so that other radios tuned to what ever FM freq. is being used will not be bothered. Do you suppose that this is a way to make XM more "politically correct" and keep those awful talk radio people :twisted: off the more gentle :shock: folks' radios?

·
Registered
582 Posts
I made a plate to mount it on, tapped it for the bike antenna stud, wrapped the extra around the base of the antenna.
And I don't use the aux jack and don't need the noise suppressor for the Aux input jack. The XM picks up great and transmits to the FM without any interference.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I got the filters from ec and that fixed it on the 04, I put them on the 06 for the heck of it, i mounted my antenna on the dash by windshield

·
Registered
211 Posts
www.cyclegadgets.com has an easy and convenient setup to eliminate the whine, power the radio, and mount it to your bike. Just look for the pre-configured package you need, and then un-select the XT radio from the package (since you already have it).. I've been using it for almost a year, and it works great.

Aug

·
Registered
126 Posts
I mounted my XM antenna between the outer and inner trunk lid, sitting on top of the keyfob receiver unit. I covered the unit with aluminum foil to serve as a rudimentary ground plane for the antenna to sit atop, but I'm not sure that's necessary, but it can't hurt either. The antenna performs quite well in that spot and only drops out in deep canyons, next to southern buildings and such as it normally would anyway.

And the bonus is that the aliens can't x-ray into my trunk from outer space now...

Ed

·
Registered
19,441 Posts
call EC hard wire it-you loose fidelity when you use the fm

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
You can go with the complete kit from EC (designed for those units with a 5 or 6 volt power requirement) http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/stores/product.asp?pid=6597&str=4&ID=239412275.
A 3-in-1 unit consisting of: 1. Ground Loop Isolator - eliminate alternator whine. 2. Power Supply - convert 12 volts to either 5 or 6 volts (from the same module). 3. Audio Line Driver - increases the output level (more volume). Available in universal application or GL1800 Plug & Play.

Or you can just get the ground loop isolater http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/stores/product.asp?pid=2607&str=4&ID=239412275

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I have a Kennedy Ground Loop Isolator that I am not currently using. I paid about $55 for it, I would sell it for $30 if you are interested.

BAT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts