GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be doing a lot of traveling on my 09 wing this spring, and want some feedback from only those folks that have the XM NavWeather and NavTraffic service. If you've subscribed to the service, please let me know what you think and if you've found these to be of value or if they are a waste of money.

Please - if you haven't subscribed to and used the service, I'm not looking for opinions. I'm interested in replies from those that are/have used it. Thanks!

·
Registered
964 Posts
I didn't subscribe, but I received a 90 free trial. (The dealer should activate the account for you. ) I only put 1400 miles on new bike before winter, but I was impressed with weather feature. The jury is still out on the traffic feature, it tried to redirect me around closed roads a couple times when I knew the road was open.

I will definitely be subscribing to the weather feature come spring. I posted some info and pictures of the weather feature on this thread. http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193786

·
Registered
641 Posts
I'll be doing a lot of traveling on my 09 wing this spring, and want some feedback from only those folks that have the XM NavWeather and NavTraffic service. If you've subscribed to the service, please let me know what you think and if you've found these to be of value or if they are a waste of money.

Please - if you haven't subscribed to and used the service, I'm not looking for opinions. I'm interested in replies from those that are/have used it. Thanks!

I have Nav Traffic and weather on both of my Zumo's, so here is my opinion. Keep in mind that my understanding is that your Weather on the 09 Wing is somewhat better than what I have on the Zumo. The traffic works well. Pretty accurate too. I live outside Philadelphia so my travels through PA, NY to DC are supported by the traffic service. I routinely get "slow traffic" warnings and "accident" warning which allows me to bypass or at least know a delay is coming up. I don't use the routing function much so i can't comment on how it reroutes you arounf those incidents.

As for weather, I like it alot. On my trip out to Hyder last year, the weather was great and again very accurate. You have radar I believe so it will be even better, but at least mine give temp, general conditions in my area and any important warning and such. For the $4 / month each I would not go without it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have it in my truck and it comes in handy every once and a while. But I dont do enough highway/big city driving to get the most from it. I got a pretty good deal on a 3 year plan and have a year and a half to go.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input....:yes1:

·
Registered
80 Posts
i have it on my Zumo and it worked great on our coast to coast last summer.The traffic function re-routed me several times to avoid accidents and construction.i ignored it once and wished later i hadn't. The weather is not as good as it would be with radar,but if it puts a cloud on your route you can count on getting wet.The only complaint i have is that you have to select a different screen to get the information as opposed to having it overlayed on your current map.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks John- that thread was informative. Although I haven't been able to pick my new wing up yet due to the ice storm in the Kentuckiana region, I have read my 09' Navigation System manual that came with my bike. I think I understand about how it works, and what it's suppose to do. My real question is.....does it work as advertised? For example, I've heard several people talk about using devices that provide "live" traffic data - my iPhone does this. But, it is usually wrong. I've heard or read where several others have complained about their device (whatever that may be) being inconsistent with actual traffic conditions. I'm hoping that this service is more reliable.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I guess I'll be the one to give you a negative.
I have it on my 2730 Garmin.
It seems the traffic conditions and weather are generally cleared up by the time I arrive!! The weather seems to be the same you get from 'The Weather Channel' on the tube....you can watch for 1 hour and it will be the same as before. One can cover a lot of ground on a Goldwing in one hour!
I suppose for $4 a month, what do you expect?

·
Registered
410 Posts
As far as Nav Traffic goes...

Yeah, it could be more 'live'. I've found it 10 to fifteen minutes behind the power curve. I've also found it updated within five minutes of an accident. It's better than nothing and better than waiting ten minutes for the radio to give basically the same report. YMMV

The Nav Weather is great. I've zoomed in and within one minute of going into the rain zone, I've started getting wet... I think that's accurate enough. I've only been able to do that once as it just does'nt rain around here very often. So that may have been a freak one time occurrance. But I was impressed.

John

·
Vendor
22,512 Posts
I have the XM Nav weather and traffic on my 09, and I also have a 376c Garmin that gets XM Weather.

I have some photos on line of the weather screens on the 09 here:

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/gpsweatherscreens

The weather screens resolution is not as good as the 376c High Resolution Nextrad, but it is close, and very usable. It gives you good indication of where the rain is. I used it last weekend to dodge some rain, and it worked perfectly. I only occasionally look at the traffic info, but it seems to be pretty accurate too.

My monthly fee is about $10 a month, and this gives me XM radio, Weather, and traffic. It seems like a very reasonable price to me, especially when you consider that just the weather service for the 376c is $30 a month. The Honda GPS also shows cloud cover data, which my 376c only does if you subscribe to the $50 per month package.

All in all, I'm happy with it, and I have not even mounted the 376c on the new bike. The only big disappointment with the system is not being able to load routes from my PC into the unit, and not being able to use the buttons when I'm moving and the stupid legal disclaimer nag screen that you have to acknowledge before you start moving.

If Honda would relocate the buttons to where the CB controls are, and remove the button lockout and disclaimer screen, and enable it to use routes loaded off a PC, it would be nearly perfect.

I'm in the process of working on a solution for a couple of these problems, but it is a bit too early for me to talk about it because I don't yet know if it is going to work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts