GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My free trial period has expired for my XM services. Will XM give me a better rate if I "hold out" for a while or should I try to call and negotiate for a better rate? Any suggestions?? I already have XM in our cars so I have an account if that matters.....

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'll be in the same boat soon enough but don't have a clue what you should do. Let us know how it works out though since whatever you do may be beneficial for the rest of us. Thanks

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
My free trial period has expired for my XM services. Will XM give me a better rate if I "hold out" for a while or should I try to call and negotiate for a better rate? Any suggestions?? I already have XM in our cars so I have an account if that matters.....
Not sure. I was running the whole package for a year at $19.95/month but had a little snaffu on the traffic so after some discussions they credited me nearly 6 months of payments. :p

So they seemed willing to work with me on the price.

·
Registered
574 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
I just renewed my 3-mo freebie "XM Everything" subscription that came w/ new bike purchase. That includes XM Radio, Best Of Sirius, real-time XM Traffic & XM Weather/Radar.

They offer several different renewal term-durations. I opted for 3-month intervals as easiest to cancel if-when I should decide to cancel. You can have them auto-bill your checking or debit card account, or bill-renew by snail-mailed invoice. I naturally opted for bill me by mailed paper invoice.

Their current "promo" to renew same listed package is a discounted $20.97 for the first 3-month renewal period.
After that first discounted period, subsequent 3-month renewals will be billed at the rate of $44.91, which equates to $14.97 per month and $179.64 per year.

The renewal was agreed to by me shortly prior to expiration of the initial Freebie, so I was told there would be no need to do anything re reloading any satelite programming as was needed for initial activation. I was also specifically told that once I renew the initial freebie, the subscription will be automatically renewed every 3 months (billed by invoice) without me needing to do anything, and that will continue unless-until I cancel svc.

The above-stated prices are in addition to applicable state & local taxes, IF-WHERE applicable.

They're certainly "squeezing" us cost-wise. I'd say if ya don't mind "holding out", squeeze 'em back for whatever discounts you can wrangle from them. Me, I just renewed because the calling rep caught me in a good mood moment and I've been enjoying the music enough to say what the heck, go for it.

Living in FL w/ sometimes-frequent summertime scattered localized rain-showers that can sometimes be quite heavy, I've found the real-time weather svc very handy for knowing where the monsoons are and skirting around them. Sure beats putting the rainsuit on and sometimes doing the go-around I find some really nice "new roads", LOL.

Good Luck with The Squeeze.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've called XM twice and they won't budge from their retail price. They told me to call back if I'm interested. I always get someone who can barely speak English too....

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
This whole "haggle" thing from Sirus/XM is garbage IMHO.

Why do you have to dicker with them to get a better price? Why can't they offer a decent price to everyone
and allow you to sign up online rather than having to talk to an imitation American. :?
Poor way to run a business..........no wonder they're on skid row.

I dropped everything except Nav-weather on my '09.............if I didn't like this feature on the '09 Nav system so much I'd forget about XM all together.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
We called today to pay ours we told them we were disconnecting if they didn't give a better rate.i saw on here where people were getting it for 77.00 for a years service.Told them we would pay for a year now for 77.00 and thats what we paid.we have had it for 2 years and were paying 42.90 every three months.a big savings.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, after letting my "trial" run out on my XM subscription, they contacted me and I renewed at a price of $77 for one year plus an extra $48 annually for weather and traffic. I knew they would eventually come around and make it worthwhile. :yes:

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Sounds like you got a good deal. $48 annually includes both weather AND traffic, or is that $48 for each one?

You can get a lifetime subscription for $400. It's not really a lifetime unless your equipment lasts a lifetime though. You can change receivers three times and then the contract expires. I went that way because I won't have to worry about it again for a lot of years.

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
You can get a lifetime subscription for $400. It's not really a lifetime unless your equipment lasts a lifetime though. You can change receivers three times and then the contract expires. I went that way because I won't have to worry about it again for a lot of years.
That's an interesting thought. Could also be a real selling point when you go to sell the bike. Free radio, weather, and traffic info for the next owner.

That is, assuming XM/Sirrus are still around.......

G

·
0 Posts
weather and traffic.

Does "weather and traffic" work with the XM hockey puck antenna or is there yet another attachment... ?

Well, after letting my "trial" run out on my XM subscription, they contacted me and I renewed at a price of $77 for one year plus an extra $48 annually for weather and traffic. I knew they would eventually come around and make it worthwhile. :yes:

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
Does "weather and traffic" work with the XM hockey puck antenna or is there yet another attachment... ?
It's built in on the 09. Nothing extra needed. Once you pay the money, it just works. I'm actually pretty happy with the weather screens on the 09. They are just about as good as what I get on the 376, and in addition I get voice prompt warning for rain and lightning and storms when they get within about 20 miles of me. The only thing they don't do is animate the storms movement like they do on the 376

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like you got a good deal. $48 annually includes both weather AND traffic, or is that $48 for each one?
It was for both. I was pleased with that amount.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I let my XM radio subscription run out and they called about a month and a half later asking me to cough up money for the "extra" service they provided beyond my service contract end date. I told them to stuff it and currently do without. I only used the danged thing when I was on a long vacation trip so I would have been happier with a one month duration package. Never got the hardware to run all the weather and navigation stuff. I am happy with my Garmin 2610. Nothing fancy but does what I need, and some things I could do without. Much better than that POS GPS Honda puts on new Wings (IMHO).

G

·
0 Posts
weather/sattelite

Oh my mistake.. I have a Zumo 550 with the XM service & antenna.

It's built in on the 09. Nothing extra needed. Once you pay the money, it just works. I'm actually pretty happy with the weather screens on the 09. They are just about as good as what I get on the 376, and in addition I get voice prompt warning for rain and lightning and storms when they get within about 20 miles of me. The only thing they don't do is animate the storms movement like they do on the 376

1 - 17 of 17 Posts