GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you all have not steered me wrong in the past :lol: it is time for another newbie question. I hope this is not like a tire or oil thread and I don't get kicked too hard. :shock:

I have been thinking about an XM Radio for my wing. What is the advice on the best one to get? I was kind of thinking about the Delphi XM roadie but have not made up my mind.

Do you hook it to your aux input port or just use it through your FM radio?
Do you need any special filters?
Should it be hard wired or do batteries actually last?
What is the differance between a duck?

Thanks in advance.

Marc

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I have a roady 2 on my wing and it is GREAT! I use the lighter socket for devices(not cigarette) and just use the aux function. That way if I want to listen to FM it is still there ready to use.

I have mine mounted with velcro on the left knee area of my wing because I just set it and forget about changing the channels.

Works for me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
XM ROADY THE WAY TO GO

I have had the XM Roady II on my 1500 for three years, I am transfering it to the 1800 this weekend. Just got back from the Great Smoky Mountains, XM on, the entire way, NO LOSS of signal. (except in the deep valleys, no FM at all) Prepay the subscription for a year to get discounts.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I've used them all. I absolutly love the Pioneer Inno. Best reception of any I've used. It even works inside of my office with no windows. Portable XM w/ MP3 Player is awesome!!! I love the ablity to record the XM content. Set a schedule and let it record. It's awesome.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have the Roady XT and love it. The only drawback to the XT is that it doesn't lock into the cradle. I covered the back of my radio and cradle with velcro and have it mounted to a 3" X 3" piece of plastic on my Texelent bar. It's rock solid and sounds great! We rode over 600 miles last weekend and it didn't move a bit.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all the replies. I went ahead and ordered up a Roady 2 as it seemed fairly cheap. That way if I don't like it I am not out much. I will heed the advice on the yearly subscription. When I receive it I will consider mounting and wireing options.

Thanks again.
Marc

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
For the bike the roady 2, I agree with ammeaux, those items will come in very handy and can be in place for future mp3 players or xm, they help alot, plug it in direct much better sound quality than fm transmission, you gonna like it .....second best thing for a bike behind garmin GPS....hard wire it to connector under left faring pocket, what's a duck???

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ammeaux said:
Go ahead an order the three devices in the link below. You will need them.

http://www.electricalconnection.com/aud ... er-gli.htm

Here is a great mount for the Roady

http://www.hoonhardware.com/RoadyHolder/roadyholder.htm

Hope you enjoy satellite radio. I sure do.
OK here come the stupid questions. My radio should be here Monday and maybe some of this will become obvious when it gets here but.

I ordered up the Hood holder and it looks like it will work great on the front brake cover.

I also ordered up the three items from EC. The 3.5mm audio signal GLI, the Honda Direct connect GLI and the 6' 3.5mm Extension cable.

Where do these all go and connect ??? Do they go in the power line, the AUX audio input line ???? :oops:

FYI: I already have a power socket connected to the plug under the left pocket but am planning on hard-wiring the XM. Should I just tap in here or find another hot lead. I would still like the plug to function so I can take the pocket out. Should I check at Rat Shack for a Y connector for this power feed.

OK too many questions already. :lol:

Thanks for the advice.

Marc

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Careful on hardwiring the Roady - that cig plug-in is really a transformer. Roady won't run long hooked to 12 volts..............

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have the Roady 2 as well. I unscrewed the tip of the cig plug and stuck a wire in then wrapped the ground wire around the side terminal on the plug. I wrapped everything tightly with electrical tape and it can't come loose. That gave me 2 leads to wire directly to my system. Might not be elegant, but it takes up less space under my left pocket than the plug and socket.

One thing I have found is that the 3 plugs on the left side vibrate loose after several months. I went through 3 radios in that time under warranty. After that I wrap a long zip tie around the entire radio. The narrow ones can fit behind the thumb wheel so you can still use it. You can buy the roady 2 on Ebay real cheap and so I got an extra. I also bought the walkman battery pack and headphone with built in antenna online too.

Some of the new GPS systems have built in XM. Since I plan to use the treo and Palm nav system, that doesn't help me. The roady buttons are fairly easy to use while riding. Works for me.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Here's my setup using the short extension with the radar and GPS all coming through the headset intercom. All have independant volume controls. The XM comes through the the aux imput. All Kennedy stuff. Works great.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts