GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a roady this weekend. I did not do a permanent install, I used the 12v plug in the front left pocket and Velcro to mount it to the top of the pocket. It works great with one exception, I now have alternator noise when it is being used.
Have any of you dealt with this?
TIA
JG

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
JG,

The problem is most likely caused by a "Ground Loop" that comes from powering the XM unit with the bike's power directly. The easiest solution for that would be to install a "Ground Loop Isolator" between the audio output of your XM and the input on the bike.

Lewis @ E/C makes a unit that works well for this and is a plug and play module that fits under the LH pocket (http://www.electricalconnection.com/audio/noise-filters.htm ).

I believe that Radio Shack also has one as well, but I used the E/C version for my Skyfi and have had no problems at all.

Good luck

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jon

I just ordered a ground loop isolator from EC

·
Registered
810 Posts
XM Alternator Noise

I'm not sure if this will help. I had the XM on my bike and powered it initially from the upper left aux power supply. I also ran the XM to the aux on the radio and had major alternator whine. Drove me nuts.

I ordered the ground loop, but in the middle of waiting for it, decided to change to the Sirius radio. When I wired in the Sirius, I did it differently.

I have the EC electrical block that ties into the battery and an ignition source. It gives you six fused power leads for aux. equipment.

Well, I ran the radio power to this instead of the aux power supply and then ran the ground to a grounding block that EC also sells. The Sirius feeds the radio with the aux jack.

NO WHINE! Sounds great, very pleased. I don't know if its the radio or the power source change but I do hear of a lot of the XM's having this problem and not as many of the Sirius units.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Which Sirius Unit??

Hey Mac...which Sirius unit did you purchase? I'm more interested in Sirius than XM, but not sure which unit to get. I'd appreciate your input. Thanks.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Sirius Radio Choice

I'm not sure of the name of the unit, but I purchased the square one on eBay and got a home kit and car kit for $199. with a $50. rebate.

I'm very pleased with it, mainly because I simply like their mix better but also, because of the ease (my opinion) of the installation. I could never understand why the Delphi was a 6 volt system when it was installed to cars and such.

My unit was mounted just above the GL's radio. I removed the Goldwing plastic plate and mounted through that area, that way I can remove the radio and reglue the plate down. It's raised about 3/4 above the surface so I can get to the top row of radio buttons. The only problem I have is that when I do full turns if I'm walking the bike I'll hit the cradle, but there is enough play in it to not cause a problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Roady as Well.

I have the Roady installed as well, I used the ground loop isolator which eliminated the whine. I had the Radio Shack one, however it had cords which were way too long, so I cut it down and put the correct connectors on as well. Then I saw the one from E/C mentioned above and ordered it. It works justs as good and is a smaller packeage to put under the box.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts