GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had problems with xm radio degrading the signal for the gps? If you watch your satellite bars on the gps while you turn on the xm radio do you notice a degrading of the signal to the gps? I have heard reports of this am an wondering what to do if it is true. I do not yet own an xm radio but am about to buy once convinced of all the benefits-the gps problem(if there is one)could change my mind.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have both XM and GPS and have had no problems with the GPS sat reception. I have my XM antenna mounted on the trunk wing and my 2610 is on the dash (with internal antenna). I do believe the scenario you describe is possible, as my XM antenna degrades my FM reception. A ground plane dependant XM antenna will incorporate any surrounding metal into XM reception. If the XM antenna were close to the GPS, it could possibly affect the GPS performance. However, of the many people who use both XM and GPS, I have never read of anyone having problems.

Just to be certain, I ran outside and checked my GPS. I did not see any change in the sat reception levels when I powered the XM on or off.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Not to contradict you Chris, but I believe there have been reports recently by IndyShooter that the Delphi Roady unit was definitely causing some interference with the SPIII. Check his posts on the tech board and I believe that he decided on mounting his Roady inside the RH pocket for this reason.

I, personally, haven't had any issues with my Delphi Skyfi unit causing any problems with my SPIII and I've got them mounted just about as close as they can be.

As you can see, the XM is on the left handlebar on a custom bracket attached to my Butler cup holder, the SPIII is on a custom metal bracket mounted to the dash and my XM antenna is mounted on top of the front brake reservoir (and I've got the "old-style" large antenna).

I also wired my SPIII direct to the battery so power's available all the time. Both units are also grounded to a ground terminal block that I mounted under the LH pocket which is fed by a large wire running straight to the battery's negative terminal. Maybe this helps with the noise issue, I don't know.

I hope this helps, Rdbuck - I guess the bottom line is that some of us have no problems, and others have had issues. It might just be the choice of radio brands (and satellite service), type of GPS and the wiring methods that there are certain combinations of these that cause some issues for some people.

Mine works fine, and the XM radio would rank right up there with the best additions I've made to the bike :lol: Definitely one that I would do again!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bought and installed the Roady in my truck this afternoon. I also have a Garmin 176 on my dash that I use in the boat and on the GL1800. The XM Roady most definitley affects the GPS! If I move the XM receiver close(1'-2') to the GPS I can watch the satellite bars start to recede sometines to zero and lost reception. My 176 also has a readout for accuracy as you travel and I can watch that degrade from 15' to 100+' as I move the XM receiver around. I also noticed that some stations affected the GPS more than others. If you do not have the satellite bars and/or an accuracy function displayed and are just cruising along with your map page showing you mignt not notice any difference. It does not seem to be the antenae so much as the receiver itself. I'm no expert on this stuff, just passing along my observations and wondering about a solution.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I spent all day fighting the Roady and SPIII. Finally got them to work together. I lined the right pocket with aluminum tape. Then made a steel plate to fit in the pocket lid...covered it with aluminum tape. I still had problems so I grounded the pocket and tape to the frame. The thing that appeared to make the most difference was when I took the Roady off of the same power wiring that fed the GPS. I connected the Roady to the Grip Heater circuit and the GPS directly to the battery. At least for now they will work in harmony. I'll test them again tomorrow.

I was so frustrated last night I can't describe it. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason to when the two would work or not. With the Roady off the GPS showed strong satellite signals. Turn on the Roady and the signal would go away...75% of the time...the other 25% it would reduce some but still work. This morning the GPS would not see any satellite signal if the Roady was on. Compound that with the darn rain and the fact you can't work on a GPS or Roady inside the shop and it made for a tough day.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Delphi Sky Fi works GREAT with GPS

SPIII & XM Delphi Sky Fi work GREAT together. There is NO problem with signal for either one. The Antennas are about 3" apart & the XM unit & SPIII are about 6" apart. You could mount them on top of each other with NO problem. This is on the bike & trike. On my truck & car the XM antenna is on the roof right above the SPIII with NO problems.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Compound that with the darn rain and the fact you can't work on a GPS or Roady inside the shop and it made for a tough day
That's interesting, Shooter - my Skyfi unit works very well in the garage. I run it on the bike when I want good music while I'm working on projects...

The SPIII doesn't work in the garage, unfortunately.

I wonder if it's the fact that my older Skyfi unit includes two antenna leads and the terrestial antenna is providing the signal?

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have the same experience with the SkiFi and my gps V. They work great together. XM on the left, gps on the right, and xm antenna in the center of the dash making the tip of the triangle. Not a bit of problem.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wonder what the difference is between the SkiFi and the Roady. There is strong interference between the Roady and my GPS 176. On my boat the 176 is mounted among a clutter of other electronic equipment and there is no problem. In my case I'm sure it is not the antenna,if I move the antenna around there seems to be no degradation difference but if I move the receiver around the satellite reception will go up and down. At this point it looks like the only good solution is to sell the Roady and buy the SkiFi. Bummer!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Checked out site posted above (xmfan). Thanks for the info. Seems the problem is confined to the Roady and it is widespread. Some posts say Delphi is aware of issue and plans to replace all Roadys as soon as new units are ready. How this is going to happen is big question. Meanwhile the best solution seems to be to use a remote antenna for your GPS. I thaought I did enough research before buying but this problem eluded me. Thanks for all the responses!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts