GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have read that some people have located their XM antenna inside the trunk lids inner liner. I live in NJ and wonder that being further north than some of you if this location could be a problem (the XM satellites are way south – like at the equator if something.).

I have a 2006 and I have the seat, Meter Panel and Top Shelter off the bike (I am doing other things as well) and would like to know the easiest way into the trunk lid liner. Thanks for any help you can offer.

By the way - I didn't know that you could mount the antenna under plastic so I went out to the car this morning and covered the antenna (which is on the roof) with my helmet and the reception did not change.

Still not convinced I took a plastic bucket and put it over my helmet - still no change in reception. So I'm guessing that plastic doesn’t block the signal at all.

But I did note that if I put my hand anywhere over the antenna the signal is lost. I guess I should have gone to engineering school

Thanks, RIDE SAFE

DonNJ

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Hey Don,

You can mount it under the trunk lid liner, no problem. Just open the trunk and remove all the screws holding the liner on the inside of the trunk lid. If you're adding a lighted spoiler, you'll have to take off the liner anyway.

Routing the antenna wire is easy down the left-front side of the lid. You'll have to pull the seat off to continue the wire routing.

Good luck.

Bartman

FYI...this post should probably have gone in the "GPS/MP3/Electronic motorcycle devices forum." You might get a quicker response to your question in the proper forum. :wink:

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Lots of folks have mounted them on top of one of the brake reservoirs with double stick tape. Just feed the wire (all 10,000' of it) along the other wires and to the XM (or Sirius, whichever) and you are all set. Most people never notice it there.

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
218 Posts
Don I tried two locations, one under the trunk lid with two different styles of antennas. the new micro and the old style antenna one of the first antennas XM came out with. neither one worked that well as far as I was concerned, to many drop outs. The second location was on top of the clutch reservoir using Velcro, again with both styles of antennas. What I found worked best for me was the old style antenna on the clutch reservoir. :D

Chuck

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I originally had my XM antenna under the trunk lid. It worked great when I was one-up, but when two-up, the passenger's body would block the signal. I was in California at the time, but would expect that the problem would be more pronounced at higher latitudes.

I now have the antenna mounted on the dash with the coax run under the mirror's seal and only very rarely lose the signal (and would probably lose it no matter where it was mounted).

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
One other thing to consider if mounting under the trunk lid is what happens to the signal if you put a trunk rack on, then put a luggage bag on it? Signal may go to nothing.

If you have one of the small antennas and want to hide it, it will fit inside one of the mirror housings. It will have better reception on top of one of the reservoirs.

And, it you get a Garmin 2730 with built-in XM, the included antenna is big enough that you can mount it on a trailer.......I think 3 inches in diameter and an inch high is overkill......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts