GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I've just purchased a new 2010 GL1800. It came with XM Radio - which I was very pleased to see! However, my happiness turned in to frustration the first time I was out riding using the XM service.

I've had XM in my car for the last two years and it works very well. Occasionally, and in the same locations, I lose the XM signal, but that was hardly ever happening.

Now, with the XM on the bike, the signal is so spotty that it's virtually unusable. Oh sure, there are areas where there are no trees for miles around and it works great, but generally I can't drive one mile without it going in and out a dozen times.

I live in the Fredericksburg, VA area so my riding is mostly west of I95. Even when I do drive up the highway the reception is awful. As an example, today I was riding down a road where there were no trees so I turned XM on. Nothing. I waited for about 30 seconds and still nothing. Then, a signal! I did have a stand of trees to my south side. Eventually I had trees on either side of me and the reception went away (too bad, a great Muddy Waters tune was just playing).

I've tried to keep track of where my bike is pointing when I do get reception but that seems to be irrelevant.

The weather service seems to work GREAT.

So, here's my question: Is there anything that you fine readers know about that can make it work better? I'm mechanically-minded and understand how the satellite service works. And, no, I don't care about how many satellites XM has in the sky or if they orbit around the equator. I just know that it works great in my car but not on the bike.

Advance thanks to any replies!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had read on here that it might have to do where the antenna is positioned in the bike and they had installed an exterior antenna and that had helped.

You should be able to find it if you do a search. I live in South Florida and have no problems at all...then again we dont have things like mountains or trees...:shrug:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I'm also having problems with reception on my 2009. I had a Roady XT on my 2002 that gave me much better reception. It must be the location of the antena.
XM recomends that the antena be mounted on a flat metal surface. Apparently on the 2009, the antena is somewhere under the dash area. Maybe not enough metal there?:confused:

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
For my roady I have one of the weird Rod antennas mounted on the outside of the windshield. It's fabulous and better than when I had it on the trunk lid. Found it at the Satellite Radio Superstore

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
me too

I have the same little black antenna. I stuck mine on the inside of my left mirror. Reception is much better.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Welcome to the club i also have problems with my reception honda placed the antenna in a bad place. I lose my signal a lot i my be calling my dealer about this. I have XM in my car and truck no problems there.:agree:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Same here on the 2012. Reception is lost at least 10x as often as in a car.

But it is to be expected to some extent. In my car the antennae is at least 4 ft higher up.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
when I took my '09 on my first long trip (with it) from Michigan to Alberta ... the XM reception was pretty good all the way to the border in western N. Dak. I wasn't surprised to lose the weather within 30 miles and XM within about 60 miles. However, on the way back, I lost the signal more often than having a signal. Definitely something to do with antenna positioning.

I don't care about XM enough to bother with fixing the antenna issue.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've got a Garmin GXM-30 satelite receiver mounted on the left side of my trunk. The only time I have reception problems is in my garage. Out here in Arizona, we don't have a lot in the way of trees but we sure have plenty of mountains and they've never been an issue. I went on a ride to Louisiana this last spring where there are lots of trees and never lost reception there either. I sometimes experience spotty reception if I'm in a downtown area with many tall buildings...

·
Registered
878 Posts
I second SlowDog's responce... The cone shaped antenna is designed for bikes... The automobile antenna does not work so great on bikes... Cars don't lean over in corners like a bike does... The cone shape antenna is far less directional than the car type... It has a inline signal amp/filter on it as well to make up for the direction gain losses... I too used the window mount (outside surface down near the mirror area) and have had very little drop out issues since...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For my roady I have one of the weird Rod antennas mounted on the outside of the windshield. It's fabulous and better than when I had it on the trunk lid. Found it at the Satellite Radio Superstore

Thanks for the info here! I've ordered my SMRT45 and my Honda dealer agreed to install it for free.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts