GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Vendor
22,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On March 11, XM radio will be raising prices on almost all of their services.

The current price for XM Audio is $12.95. If you have more than one radio, they will put you on the Family Plan which drops the price to $6.99

Nav Traffic and Nav Weather for the 2009 Wing are $9.95 each if chosen seperatly, but if bundled, you can get all three (Audio, Weather, Traffic) for $19.95 a month. If you have a second radio and are on the Family plan, this price drps to $13.99 per month.

On March 11, the regular XM Audio will go to around $15 per month, and the XM Nav Traffic and Nav Weather packages will go up a couple bucks as well.

http://www.xmradio.com/navweather/pricing.xmc

If you pay for a year in advance now before the rate goes up, you can save some money. You can also save quite a bit if you have more than one radio.

With my Family Plan, I paid $157.88 for a years subscription on the 2009 Wing, including Audio, Nav Traffic and Nav Weather, which works out to $13 a month.

My other radio is my 376c, which I now have on the SkyWatch plan for $9.99 a month.

So you can see, having a second radio and getting on the "Family Plan" really cuts the price quite a bit. Without it, the one year subscription for my 2009 Wing with Nav Traffic and Nav Weather would be about $240.

Hope this clears up any confusion about the pricing of the XM services on the 2009.

·
Registered
306 Posts
That rate hike to $10 on weather and traffic is if the radio is the primary...not if it's on the family plan. Right?

·
Vendor
22,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That rate hike to $10 on weather and traffic is if the radio is the primary...not if it's on the family plan. Right?
I'm not real sure. It got a little confusing trying to sort it all out with the rep on the phone, but if I wrote it all down correct, the current price for Nav Weather and Nav Traffic with just ONE radio is $18 total (per month, or $8.99 for each service) , and will go up to bout $20 total after March ($9.99 for each service). In addition, XM Audio will go from $12.99 to $15.99.

I think if you are on the Family Plan, in March the rate will go from $6.99 for Nav Weather to $8.99, and the same for Nav Traffic.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yeah...I was on the phone with them today too...and got confused.

I have 4 radios and was basically told that my monthly will go up about $10.00 to $15.00 total.

I guess I'll wait and see...

·
Registered
8,102 Posts
Getting to be an expensive hobby with all the electronic subscriptions, GPS updates, etc. :wrong:

·
Vendor
22,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Getting to be an expensive hobby with all the electronic subscriptions, GPS updates, etc. :wrong:
True, but I would still rather spend it on motorcycles and motorcycle trips and gadgets than put it in the 401K just to watch it disappear overnight (again).

·
Registered
8,102 Posts
I sure can't argue with you on that Fred. Could have bought a new Wing before I was able to stop the bleeding on my investments. :frown:

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
call xm and say you want to cancel

they ship you to the retention dept

tell them its just too much $$

they will shoot you a better deal

they will most likely give you $77 a year to keep you

if they dont, just listen real nicely, and when they are done, tell them your buddy got his renewed for $77

i just got done with my third year of $77

it also will work for your 2nd, 3rd radios

B

·
0 Posts
What did you expect would happen?

All I can say is, what did you expect would happen with the buyout? That's the first thing Comcast did when they bought out AT&T's cable market, raise the prices! No more satellite competition (XM bought Sirius) and so the prices go up almost instantly. I cancelled my subscription last fall for a number of reasons. They were quick to make me an offer for a more reasonably lower priced package but I told them that I got tired of hearing commercials on their commercial free stations.

I say vote with your wallet and the prices will come down. This is a service oriented market and ALL service markets like Onstar, Comcast, XM-Radio, etc... will offer you cheaper rates for their service if you cancel or threaten to cancel. They would rather keep a customer at a discounted rate than lose them completely. (This is the reason you can't stop your service from the web-site, they want to actually talk with you before canceling your service).

In this current economic market, they must have a bunch of complete idiots running this company to pick the absolute worst time ever to raise prices.

D

·
0 Posts
Actually... Sirius bought XM. Don't matter because they are going to either file Chapter 11 in a few days or Echo Star will buy them up and they will become Dish Satellite Radio or whatever they call it next. In any case the prices will either go up or your radio will go off.

Geof

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
All I can say is, what did you expect would happen with the buyout? That's the first thing Comcast did when they bought out AT&T's cable market, raise the prices! No more satellite competition (XM bought Sirius) and so the prices go up almost instantly. I cancelled my subscription last fall for a number of reasons. They were quick to make me an offer for a more reasonably lower priced package but I told them that I got tired of hearing commercials on their commercial free stations.

I say vote with your wallet and the prices will come down. This is a service oriented market and ALL service markets like Onstar, Comcast, XM-Radio, etc... will offer you cheaper rates for their service if you cancel or threaten to cancel. They would rather keep a customer at a discounted rate than lose them completely. (This is the reason you can't stop your service from the web-site, they want to actually talk with you before canceling your service).

In this current economic market, they must have a bunch of complete idiots running this company to pick the absolute worst time ever to raise prices.
I agree Dave. At one time, I had three vehicles on XM. I had so many billing and customer service problems I finally cancelled them all about three years ago.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Actually... Sirius bought XM. Don't matter because they are going to either file Chapter 11 in a few days or Echo Star will buy them up and they will become Dish Satellite Radio or whatever they call it next. In any case the prices will either go up or your radio will go off.

Geof
How true, I'VE had XM for the past 5 years on my Acura, and 3
months on my 06 Harley (which was useless, because it came in
and out all the time). I will not renew when it runs out in April.
I think they are on the way out too.

·
Registered
430 Posts
XM

Thanks to Loren I called and received the $77 annual fee instead of my usual $144 annual fee.

Interesting enough after trying to interpret the broken english on the other end of the line it sounded at first like they were stating that if I only had one radio, which I do, the monthly fee would not be going up.

So after telling them i wanted to cancel my service they first offered me a reduction to $112 annually and once I told them I was a friend of Loren's they gave me the one time Loren Promotion rate of $77.:lol:

Thanks Loren.

Don Saenz
Sanger, TX

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
So you can see, having a second radio and getting on the "Family Plan" really cuts the price quite a bit. Without it, the one year subscription for my 2009 Wing with Nav Traffic and Nav Weather would be about $372 or around $31 a month.
Fred,

I'm not sure where you got your pricing info.............I just subscribed to XM, Nav Weather, and Nav Traffic for $19.95 per month (only the Wing).

btw - I agree that talking to XM on the phone is a like trying to get a straight story from a car salesman. There system leaves a lot to be desired. Why can't you do this online rather than try to talk to someone that has know clue what they are talking about?

·
Vendor
22,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fred,

I'm not sure where you got your pricing info.............I just subscribed to XM, Nav Weather, and Nav Traffic for $19.95 per month (only the Wing).

I got it straight from XM. I just talked to them on the phone about an hour ago.

If you have another radio listed as Primary like I do, then the Wing XM unit gets the "Family Plan Discount" applied to it. You have to have more than one subscription to get it.

My one year subscription for the Wing (with the Family Plan discount) was $157.88, and includes XM Radio, Nav Weather, and Nav Traffic. That works out to about $13 a month. By paying for a year in advance, I locked in the current rate.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Hey, it worked. I just got off the phone with the $77/year plan. In fact they offered me $3.99/month for 5 months first ($19.95) but I opted for the year plan fearing at the end of the 5 months these kind of programs might not be available with the pending sale of XM.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I got it straight from XM. I just talked to them on the phone about an hour ago.

If you have another radio listed as Primary like I do, then the Wing XM unit gets the "Family Plan Discount" applied to it. You have to have more than one subscription to get it.

My one year subscription for the Wing (with the Family Plan discount) was $157.88, and includes XM Radio, Nav Weather, and Nav Traffic. That works out to about $13 a month. By paying for a year in advance, I locked in the current rate.
Fred,

My point was...........
You stated without the family plan and a second radio it would cost a person around $31 per month for all 3 services.
This is incorrect...........if you get all three it will cost you $19.95 not $31.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
I agree Dave. At one time, I had three vehicles on XM. I had so many billing and customer service problems I finally cancelled them all about three years ago.
i do a lot of inet business

i have to say that xm has the very absolute worst customer service people there are

they seem to get almost every thing wrong, almost every time

its so simple, i pay for the year, and they send me service

i get letters i owe this or that

then they cut it off

so i call and talk to 3 different ones, and get cut off at least once per problem

so its all from the start again

i seriously liked xm, until the merger, the djs and the sirius channels were too much for me to handle

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Thanks to Loren I called and received the $77 annual fee instead of my usual $144 annual fee.

Interesting enough after trying to interpret the broken english on the other end of the line it sounded at first like they were stating that if I only had one radio, which I do, the monthly fee would not be going up.

So after telling them i wanted to cancel my service they first offered me a reduction to $112 annually and once I told them I was a friend of Loren's they gave me the one time Loren Promotion rate of $77.:lol:

Thanks Loren.

Don Saenz
Sanger, TX
good for you, great to hear

half price is a nice thing

·
Vendor
22,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fred,

My point was...........
You stated without the family plan and a second radio it would cost a person around $31 per month for all 3 services.
This is incorrect...........if you get all three it will cost you $19.95 not $31.
Oh, ok. My bad. I had a hard time getting clear answers on the phone on the price plans. Thanks for pointing that out, I edited my original post and corrected it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts