GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help. Had a local cycle shop hook mine into my aux switch and I'm getting lots of whine. His solution was to have me buy Honda's $95 noise suppressor which "may" work. Surely there is something easier and still effective. I am no electric genius so I need sometrhing simple. I did see electricalconnections. com advertises a supprssor. Any ideas? Thanx!

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Yes, get the one from Electrical Connection. Lots cheaper, and you'll get support too.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i got one at the walmart for about $ 10.

seems to work just fine also.

the honda one for $ 95 does have that nice honda logo on it.

loren

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just bought the one from EC

Thanx to all. While hoping someone would reply to my post, I read through the whole 16 pages and the consensus was get the one from EC... so I did. Can't wait to hook it up.
Again, much thanx

·
Registered
823 Posts
Get the one from EC, the one from the shack limits the frequency response to no more than telephone conversation range.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
EC Hook-up

Sorry I'm such as a non-electrical guy but where exactly does the EC modulator hook up to? :?
Thanx

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I think they make two - one goes on the end of the phono plug on the bike and plugs into the radio, the other is in line just behind the white AUX flat plug under left fairing pocket.

Talk to Jon - he is doing some work with XM now.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Here's a tip for you guys. It's a pain in the a$$ to do, but I've found it often eliminates a whole bunch of strange electrical noises from the audio system.

Remove the fuel tank, and locate the multi-wire ground lug just forward of the upper shock mount. Remove the bolt, and clean up all the pieces with Scotch Brite. Make an additional ground wire from 12 or 14 gauge wire with appropriate sized ring terminals, and run it from that lug to the ground lug on the rear of the fuse box, the one that already has the 12 gauge negative battery cable attached to it. After tightening the ground lugs, it might be helpful to coat them with liquid electrical tape to discourage future corrosion.

Stu

·
Vendor
22,225 Posts
I have photos of what Stu describes doing here:

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/gastank

Also, it is important to understand the difference between a Ground Loop Isolator, and a noise filter.

The ground loop isolator is simply a transformer used to prevent the current from forming a loop through a ground circuit. This is frequently the source of noise that is generated when a device that is powered off the bikes electrical system gets connected to the Aux input. It forms a loop from the alternator back through the power supply of your newly installed device and completes the loop through the audio circuits back through the aux plug to the GL1800 audio unit and eventually to ground. An inline transformer breaks this loop. It is inserted in series in the AUDIO line to the aux connector on the bike.

A filter is a whole other animal. It attempts to smooth out the AC ripple on the DC power into your device to get rid of the alternator "whine" frequency that rides on the 12V dc. It usually consists of an inductor in series and a capacitor to ground. This filter usually goes on the power lead of the device you are having the noise problems with.

If you go look at the $65 Honda noise suppressor unit I just installed, you will see that Honda has now added an in-line coil on the ground of the GL1800 audio unit in an attempt to fix this problem. They also broke out the headset harnesses into seperate shielded harnesses to get them away from the main electrical system wires. These changes are already incorporated into the 03 and 04 models. You can easily do the mod yourself to an 01 or 02 for about $65 if you order the harness from Hal or Ron Ayers.
http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/noisefilter

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Fred - of course the $65. question, or more accurately the $64,000 (effort) question is how does it work and was there a noticible improvement?

DaleC

·
Vendor
22,225 Posts
I assume you are asking about the Honda noise suppression harness. It works. It does not totally eliminate all the noise, but it definetly makes a noticible improvement, in both headsets. It also reduces the cruise control buzz some as well.

However, it does NOT do anything to address the internal microphonics problems of the intercom amplifier, or eliminate wind noise from the mics. The only thing it addresses is alternator whine, which it does do a fairly good job of eliminating.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts