GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Roady2 XM radio receiver and upon the advice of fellow board members ordered up the Electrical Connection's p/n 03207 Honda GL1800 Direct Connect Ground Loop Isolator. I also ordered up the p/n 03205 Universal 3.5mm Ground Loop Isolator. Now I need to know what the heck do I do with these things. Do I need them both and how do I hook them up?

http://www.electricalconnection.com/aud ... er-gli.htm

On the GL1800 one there is a three wire white male plug on one end and a 3.5mm stereo plug on the other end. On the universal one there is a female 3.5 on one end and a male 3.5 on the other end. Where do I plug in each end?

FYI: under (in) my left fairing pocket I have installed a power outlet. This plugged right into the Red 2 wire connector. There is also a white connector in the same big black shiny rubber boot but it is already plugged into something else. This is on a 2006 comfort/nav/audio bike.

Thanks so much in advance.

Marc

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
You only need one of the GLI filters - if you follow the White connector under the pocket, you'll find that it goes to your OEM AUX pigtail that should be installed in the Left fairing pocket.

The 3207 GLI is designed to replace that OEM pigtail cable and usually plugs into an extension cable (3208) that connects to your audio source.

The 3206 'universal' filter is designed to plug inline with your OEM pigtail and your audio device (or extension cable).

You didn't state where your radio is installed so you'll have to decide which combination of cables/devices is correct for your installation.

Bottom line, you don't need both.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jon,

Thank you so much for the information. I do understand now. I have not decided if I should mount the radio on the right bat using the Hoon holder or put it above the audio controls. It should be here tonight and I will make an assessment and then probably muck it up anyway.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
lomax said:
Jon,

Thank you so much for the information. I do understand now. I have not decided if I should mount the radio on the right bat using the Hoon holder or put it above the audio controls. It should be here tonight and I will make an assessment and then probably muck it up anyway.

Thanks.
Wiring is easier on the left, and you can change channels while still holdingthe throttle........even more distracting than a cell phone.. :shock:

·
Registered
20,956 Posts
with a Roady 2 i don't think u need a groundloop isolator, the original Roady had the noise problem but not the Roady 2

i ordered the groundloop isolator for my Roady 2 but when i installed the Roady 2 there was no noise in the system that i could hear so i never even opened the isolator package, just sent it back for a credit

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I installed the Roady2 last night and everything went smoothly. I put the GLI in place of the AUX lead under the left fairing pocket. There is just too much stuff already on the left handle bar and that is why I mounted the XM on the right. Believe it or not I can actually reach over with my left hand to tune it. :D I wired in a lighter plug in parallel with the outlet in the left pocket and then just plugged the Roady2 power adapter into that. All is hidden under the pocket. Now all I have to do is find some type of a bag to put over it if it will be sitting in the sun all day. I do have the rain cover for it.

Cheers.
Marc

·
Registered
917 Posts
You make this too easy. What you do is buy a stereo GLI from Radio Shack with RCA connectors. Then you buy a MM, MF, RCA, 1/8 Phone, etc, etc, etc and put them all together until you have a wad the size of a softball. They say the journey is half the fun. Works though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts