GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to buy either XM or Sirius system. I want to get a sytem that can aesily transfer from the bike to my other vehicles. What would be the easiest way to go, and what would I need..... Thanks

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I like XM... Have tried both and find the XM radios are of better quality. With Sirius, you will need additional equipment (fm modulator) for each install and that gets expensive. The built in fm modulator in the Sirius is so weak all I get is static. With the complex installs and dash boards of todays vehicles, getting to the back of the radio to install the modulator is a PITA.. Even on the wing, I was forced to get the modulator which meant I had to remove plastic to install and run power.

Want to buy a slightly used Sirius Roadster 4 ??

MHO and $.02

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
drvr02silver said:
I am getting ready to buy either XM or Sirius system. I want to get a sytem that can aesily transfer from the bike to my other vehicles. What would be the easiest way to go, and what would I need..... Thanks
I have the XM Delphi XT radio. It's nice and compact and you can easily get additional mounting cradles. All the electrics are in the cradle, so you put a cradle in/on each vehicle and just pop the radio out whenever you switch vehicles..., no worries about disconnecting or unplugging wires. This also makes it very easy for putting the radio away if you're worried about security.

On my bike (Valkyrie IS) I have the radio mounted on a RAM mount just left of center on the handlebar, with the antenna on the left-side reservoir cap. Audio is run to the line-in connector on the Valk, which puts the tunes directly into the audio system. I haven't notice any significant "humm" or "buzz" with this hookup, although is does require jacking up the main volume a bit.

There are lots of other ways to do it, but this one works nicely for me.

G

·
I had the XM Roady 2 for about 2 years. It was compact which made it nice. But after hearing Sirius, I liked their music selection better so I purchased the Sirius Sportster. Less compact then the XM so I had to manufacture another mount. Had the XM mounted on the left handle bar. The first Sportster I had, I took back because the FM modulator would not transmit on all the frequencies and was very weak. The replacement was a lot better. The Roady 2 had to be unplugger (3 plugs) to transfer from vehicle to vehicle. The Sirius just slides out of its holder. In most cases you would need to have 2 separate set-ups, minus the receiver to transfer unless you are going to transfer the antenna and power supply too. First impress of the Sirius, I like it. I was surprised that the XM antenna worked with the Sirius radio.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
After doing a bit of research I went with SIRIUS to meet MY needs. I am using a Streamer GT model unit which I was able to purchase off of EBay from siriusoutlet.com for $29.95 - $20 rebate = $9.95. There appear to be some sirius units that have better FM transmitters than others. Though to be honest, that is my last choice for audio input, I much prefer a direct audio input for a cleaner sound. I am aleady a big fan of channel 15 - Classic Rewind (classic rock from the 70's on, nice mix).

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
If u like xm, the the xm pocket 2 go unit would be nice. Leaving a cradle in each vehicle with an auto antenna mounted permanately would be nothing more then quick plug in go routine. Only issue is being very careful with the cradle mount, the plastic pins can break easy if u do not take the time to just slide together easy. Then drag it into the home, and cradle it to ur stereo system! Also make an antenna/headphone unit to cut the lawn with outside!

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,686 Posts
Ditto BrianH., except I have the SkyFi2. I have it mounted in my left front pocket so I can keep it on even when it rains.

I move the unit from car to bike to office (where I use the boombox). Works great for me and pay only one subscription as well.

Hope this helps.

Bob E.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts