GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't want to buy the Honda XM antenna for $100.00 and go through all the hassle of removing the plastic off half the bike to install it.
The other day I was watching a video on YouTube where this guy took an old XM antenna he had and plugged it into his bike and ran the antenna out of his garage and he got it to work.
I remember I had an antenna like that years ago, I wondered if I still had it.
I went out to the garage and found it.
So today I removed the seat and plugged it into the unit under the trunk and it said "No Signal". So I took the antenna which has about 15 feet of cord, and ran it out to the driveway and the radio came to life.
Last week when I was watching a maintenance video, it dawned on me that if I were to remove the backrest, there is a plug for the heated backrest at the top of the trunk lid and there is extra room between the trunk lid and the backrest that I might be able to mount it up near that plug.
Well, I actually had to zip tie the antenna to the wire at the very top of the backrest and let it hang down between the backrest and the trunk. It was not thick enough to prevent the backrest from seating properly when I installed it.
I ran the wires down along the heated seat factory wires and down by the radio unit.
I zip tied the excess wires up and put everything back together and the XM channel 1 was still working.
I figured if it is working in the garage, it should work out on the road.
Now I just need to find the latest deal on pricing and see what I have to pay for the subscription.

·
Registered
8,728 Posts
I didn't want to buy the Honda XM antenna for $100.00 and go through all the hassle of removing the plastic off half the bike to install it.
The other day I was watching a video on YouTube where this guy took an old XM antenna he had and plugged it into his bike and ran the antenna out of his garage and he got it to work.
I remember I had an antenna like that years ago, I wondered if I still had it.
I went out to the garage and found it.
So today I removed the seat and plugged it into the unit under the trunk and it said "No Signal". So I took the antenna which has about 15 feet of cord, and ran it out to the driveway and the radio came to life.
Last week when I was watching a maintenance video, it dawned on me that if I were to remove the backrest, there is a plug for the heated backrest at the top of the trunk lid and there is extra room between the trunk lid and the backrest that I might be able to mount it up near that plug.
Well, I actually had to zip tie the antenna to the wire at the very top of the backrest and let it hang down between the backrest and the trunk. It was not thick enough to prevent the backrest from seating properly when I installed it.
I ran the wires down along the heated seat factory wires and down by the radio unit.
I zip tied the excess wires up and put everything back together and the XM channel 1 was still working.
I figured if it is working in the garage, it should work out on the road.
Now I just need to find the latest deal on pricing and see what I have to pay for the subscription.

I don't know if you know it, there is a cubby hole on the trunk side of removing the backrest, the receiver fits in there perfectly. I have mine located there and the reception is great.:smile2:

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
There are at least 2 threads on the forum where owners have done this already. Pictures included.

If, for some reason, you haven't done the bike's latest software update, do it. One of the items in the update is software to improve XM reception.

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are at least 2 threads on the forum where owners have done this already. Pictures included.

If, for some reason, you haven't done the bike's latest software update, do it. One of the items in the update is software to improve XM reception.

I did the update I believe in January or February. Is that the latest one?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I did the update I believe in January or February. Is that the latest one?
Yes. But, if the XM signal drops out a lot, or if your audio source changes from XM to another source without you pushing the buttons, do it again. Those 2 symptoms were solved by the update.

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes. But, if the XM signal drops out a lot, or if your audio source changes from XM to another source without you pushing the buttons, do it again. Those 2 symptoms were solved by the update.

I rode the bike yesterday for about an hour, covering around 40 miles, just listening to XM channel 1 since I haven't subscribed yet and wanted to see how the reception was.
It kept cutting out constantly. If I would have been listening to music, it would have cut on every song several times.

I am wondering if the antenna I have, which is over 10 years old, is too old and maybe I need a newer one, or it looks like I may have to do the update again.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I am wondering if the antenna I have, which is over 10 years old, is too old and maybe I need a newer one, or it looks like I may have to do the update again.
XM antennas are about $20 at Walmart or Amazon. If you can, find one with a SHORT cord. Some are 20+ feet long and you do not need that. IIRC, there are some with an 8' cord. That is also too long, but easily bundled and stowed under the seat.

I originally had my antenna tucked in the cubby under the top of the rear seat. Prior to the last update I moved it to the top of the trunk lid, exposed to the open sky. I have no plans to move it back now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
XM antennas are about $20 at Walmart or Amazon. If you can, find one with a SHORT cord. Some are 20+ feet long and you do not need that. IIRC, there are some with an 8' cord. That is also too long, but easily bundled and stowed under the seat.

I originally had my antenna tucked in the cubby under the top of the rear seat. Prior to the last update I moved it to the top of the trunk lid, exposed to the open sky. I have no plans to move it back now.
How did you mount it to the top of the trunk? I am thinking this is the way to go but not sure what to use to mount it.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Can you please send a photo of the location you are referring to? Thanks
If you mean the top of the trunk, here it is. If you mean the cubby under the top of the passenger backrest, you'll have to look for one of the other threads that includes install pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
I rode the bike yesterday for about an hour, covering around 40 miles, just listening to XM channel 1 since I haven't subscribed yet and wanted to see how the reception was.
It kept cutting out constantly. If I would have been listening to music, it would have cut on every song several times.

I had problems with XM receiving on my old GW Trike. Bought new XM antenna with the 8 ft cable and it worked fine. The XM on my RoadGlide Ultra works flawlessly so it can be done. Good luck with your problem.
Bill

·
Registered
375 Posts
They make a hi-gain antenna now. Some of us seem to have luck with the cubby under the seat and some don't. It will be a combination of where the satellites are where you live and the gain of the antenna. Look for the hi-gain model if you want to try the cubby. Not much, but more than the "standard" model when I purchased mine. And yes, it did come with what seemed like 20 ft. of wire when I only needed about 6-8 for the routing to the cubby.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's clever. Did you fish the wire under the passenger headrest and into the area below the seat or did you have to take out the passsenger seat? And I'm still not sure where the cubby hole is in the backrest...

·
Registered
468 Posts
That's clever. Did you fish the wire under the passenger headrest and into the area below the seat or did you have to take out the passsenger seat? And I'm still not sure where the cubby hole is in the backrest...
About the 8 minute mark you can see it in this video, When he removes the riders backrest

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
That's clever. Did you fish the wire under the passenger headrest and into the area below the seat or did you have to take out the passsenger seat?
I removed the passenger backrest. It is 8 screws I think. Real easy to do.

Reactions: RickLB

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have done both updates. I also have the old XM antenna mounted on the outside of the trunk (left side). Did 200 miles yesterday. XM kept cutting out all day.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts