GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IS EVERYONE HAVING THE SAME SITUATION??

XM RADIO IS NOT AS CLEAR AS RADIO AND THERE IS A WHINE? ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED, WHY SO TERRIBLE SOUNDING??
JOE

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Tell us more. Are you using the aux input? Wired to the battery?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
xm

Yes I am using the aux cable and pluging it into the usual cig. lighter in the pocket.

But what about the sound quaility, I expected CD like sound and I am getting 8 track.

Joe Cat

·
Registered
416 Posts
Joe, i got terrible noise from using the cig lighter power so I wired mine directly to the aux posts on the fuse box. Some XM and Sirius units are 6 or 5 volts so don't cut the power plug off if that's the case. There's a transformer in there. I soldered a lead to the tip (which is hot) and a lead to one of the side posts (negative). I still got alt. noise so I installed a ground loop isolator from EC that I bought at Hal's. That did the trick for me. They also have a inline power noise filter that is supposed to help. Also make sure the audio level output on your XM is turned up.

http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/store ... =715592432

·
Registered
247 Posts
That is why I bought the Pioneer Inno, portable with battery, and requires no electrical power from the bike...when I had a regular XM powered throught the bike, never was able to get rid of the WHINE.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm running a Roady XT and using the built in FM modulator. To me the audio quality is just fine and I'm getting no noise.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
The disadvantage of FM modulating is that if you travel into an area that actually broadcasts on the same frequency as your XM, then you have to reprogram the XM. The newer units come with more than 2 or 3 freqs that you can broadcast on, the older ones are limited. To me, especially in the headsets, there is a large difference between the FM signal and a direct input into the audio system.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have the XM WiFi2 hooked up to a cig lighter power source. The inputs and all filtering runs through ta CellSet system I got at Cyclegadgets.com

The sound is outstanding and with the CellSet system I was able to route my GPS/FRS and Call phone through also.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Perhaps it's alternator whine.

I've been using my MyFi XM on my 2002 Goldwing for a week now with no wires connected to the bike and it works great. I RAM mounted it on the left handle bar and haven't connected it to the bike power yet. Its internal battery is good for five hours. Although I have the AUX connector, I'm using the FM modulator to the bike's radio.

I'm VERY pleased with how well it works. I have no extra noise whatsoever.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
all fixed

all fixed

IT WAS A BAD GROUND!

IN THE RADIO ITSELF, I CHANGED IT OUT!
AND DONE, THANKS!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Backwoods had the same problem on his newly purchased Wing and he bought a couple of $3 ground loop isolators and installed them and now he has no problems.

You might want to PM to find out exactly how he did it.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I have my SkyFi powered by a separate 12 to 6 volt converter and feed it to the aux input through a Kennedy Aux Switch Set. I have no whine or hum and the audio is as good as CD (though with my old ears, I couldn't swear to it).

You have to make some adjustments when you put something designed for a car onto a bike. The difference in metal mass alone is sufficient to cause grounding problems, funny hums, and alternator whine. But there are lots of things out there to help you fix your sound.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts