GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice that every once in a while, out of the blue, my wing's audio system jumps from XM to FM. This has nothing to do with hitting any buttons with my thumb or being under bridges where I might lose signal for a moment. I noticed that there's another thread here about sudden loss of Carplay. I wonder if the two problems are related.

Anyone else experience this? Any ideas what causes this?

By the way, I have installed the little Amazon antenna that others have recommended, not the Honda product. I mounted it on the front brake reservoir. I have an Android system, not Apple.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Many here have reported the same bug including me. Mine has done it from day one and the updates have not fixed this issue. Irritating for sure.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Have you done the latest firmware update? It helps this by making the system sensitive to a weak XM signal.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have also noticed that when CarPlay fails it seems to cause the radio to go from XM to FM by itself. Its very consistent and doesn't happen anymore unless CarPlay fails first.

Marc

·
Registered
582 Posts
I've not had this happen lately, but I had to reset the system recently due to CarPlay not working. What I've done is reset the entire system and refreshed all my settings. I have all the updates installed. One thing that happened on my iPhone was Siri was turned off (I did a hard reset on the phone as well), and this caused CarPlay to not activate. Once I had everything reset, everything appears to be working correctly. Went for a couple hour ride yesterday, CarPlay worked perfectly, no drop out, no melting icons, no source switches. Granted it was only a couple hours riding time (just over 115 miles), but it was nice to have everything working the way it's supposed to work.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
The last (Jan 2019) update was supposed to reduce how easy it is for XM to switch to alternate programming when signal is weak/lost.

This latest version, designed for 2018 and newer Gold Wings, offers the following improvements:

Add up to 99 waypoints per route.
Increased XM source hold in low-signal areas
Improved iPhone XS, XS Max and XR compatibility

Which of course is not the same as 'never switch' even with no signal, unless selected by operator.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
If you have done the latest update AND have the antenna out in the open, you're just having bad luck. My antenna did it when it was under the rider's backrest in the little cubby and before the update. Since the update, I get MUCH better signal quality. Even get XM in my garage now. Did not get it before the update.

Maybe you should download and install the update again.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many here have reported the same bug including me. Mine has done it from day one and the updates have not fixed this issue. Irritating for sure.
I did the latest update in January. I don't know if this was worse under the old firmware, as I only installed the XM antenna from Amazon about the same time in January. In 2 months and 2000 miles of riding with the XM service, this has happened maybe 6 or 8 times. It is simple enough to fix (2 presses of the correct mode button on the left hand controls), so I am not likely to take it into the Honda dealer just for this. I suspect that the service department would report, "nothing found."

I also receive XM signal when parked in my garage, and when I go under bridges and lose signal momentarily, the XM doesn't just jump to FM. So I am at a loss to figure out what is going on other than some glitches in the radio software or hardware.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I did the latest update in January. I don't know if this was worse under the old firmware, as I only installed the XM antenna from Amazon about the same time in January. In 2 months and 2000 miles of riding with the XM service, this has happened maybe 6 or 8 times. It is simple enough to fix (2 presses of the correct mode button on the left hand controls), so I am not likely to take it into the Honda dealer just for this. I suspect that the service department would report, "nothing found."

I also receive XM signal when parked in my garage, and when I go under bridges and lose signal momentarily, the XM doesn't just jump to FM. So I am at a loss to figure out what is going on other than some glitches in the radio software or hardware.
Seems to me to be about the same as it always has been. It is a minor irritation but just the same, I would not mind getting rid of it at some point.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I don't have the XM built in on my Wing but I do have it via my Zumo. I will say that I sometimes have to put dielectric grease on my antenna cord/connection. I wonder if that might be a help on the Wing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts