GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, maybe someone can help Me out. I was riding in My friends new car and he had a xm radio which I loved because of all the selections. I would like to install this radio on My wing. Where does the power source come from, and do I have to buy an fm converter? Does anyone sell a mount for this radio?? Also can I use the cassette adaptor in the fairing pocket??As you can see I am not that good at hooking up electronics. Thanks in advance, Jim in N.C.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Oldcoot,
I have the Sirrius radio on my 1800. I put the unit in the trunk on top of the CB and ran power under the seat to the battery. I have the head for changing channels on top of my left cover and the antenna on the top of the trunk. The reception is great and I only have occasional dropouts in heavily wooded areas.
Walt

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Jim - the XM (or Sirius) is a great addition to the Wing and depending upon the model of receiver you buy will greatly impact the way you add it to your bike and how you wire it. Personally, I like the Delphi Skyfi receiver as it is portable and I can easily switch it to my SUV, my garage or my office by just lifting the receiver portion from the cradle adapter and plugging it to another (although you do have to have other adaptors, but that's not necessarily bad either).

I choose to also add an FM modulator from Delphi to integrate it into my 1800 FM audio system and also wire it to my power block and grounding unit below my seat. The modulator itself is housed below the trunk where my CB is located and I drilled a small hole to run wires from that area. The antenna plug that you dovetail into that runs from your FM/AM antenna is also under the seat and there are wires on the FM Modulator for those two connections too. I mounted my cradle below the key area using the mount that comes with the Car Adaptor Kit from Delphi and that works great too. It locks into place with the small tab that lifts behind on the back side of the cradle. If you go the XM or Sirus route and use the FM modulator, be certain to turn on the AMB settings on the Wing radio controls and that will greatly inprove the quality of the signal and the volume. You will also need to add a ground loop isolator to your power line to filter the humm that comes from the Wing's alternator on the audio output (available at Radio Shack or Electrical Connections).

The other option is to use the auxillary line in the left front pocket, but that was not how I wanted to run my setup.

It certainly ranks as one of my top 3 accessories I have added to my wing, plus I can enjoy it in my car, my home or my office.

Good luck,

DaleC

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I am very interested myself in getting a satellite
radio for my wing, but not until after Christmas.
I was reading buyers reviews on the XM radio,
and over ½ of the owners complained about all
the commercials they were paying for. It sounds
like SIRIUS might be a better service, but I liked
Delphi's little XM unit that goes everywhere,
including a boom-box unit the receiver plugs
into. I also want the unit, XM or SIRIUS, to work
in my truck via the AUX input, and somehow in the
bathroom in the mornings.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Have the delphia model xm, mounting can be many areas. A new commando model is out that is strictily RF module. This cannot be moved around. Commercials will always be around, xm does not have them on all stations. Besides, u buy the radio for lack of fading stations. Cruise cross country with the same station. Unheard of five years ago. Use mine on the bike, in the garage with the portable deck, and can use in the car for long trips with the cassette adapter. My truck is hard wired RF pioneer unit. Best hunting.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
The discussions between XM & Sirius is almost as bad as asking about the best oil :lol:

I like the other recommendation I saw about reviewing the channel selections and programming online before making a purchase choice. There may be selections on one provider or the other that will make the choice a no-brainer for you. (For example, I believe that NASCAR is currently only available on XM. Sirius has some sports programming like NBA that aren't available on XM)

Personally, I listened to both (they're actually only small, looping snippets of the actual progtamming, not the actual feed. For example, I've never heard a commercial when I went to sample the XM feed) and chose XM because of the available radio options. At the time, Sirius didn't offer a portable unit like the SkyFi.

Installation can get a little tricky, but you might be able to find someone who can help you if you decide it's above your ability.

I chose to install mine on my left handlebar to keep it accessible for changing channels, but there are many options for this.

Good luck with your choice - it's easily one of my best additions so far...

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Herb - I have about 30 of the 101 total XM stations with no commercials at all and I can only listen to one at a time. There's plenty of great stations on XM with terrific music where you never hear any commercials. Ultimately, you're likely to use about 6 or 7 of them most of the time anyway. But to say you have to go the Sirius route to get the commercial free is not correct.

As of the end of September 2003, Sirius had 149,600 subscribers and XM was over a 1,000,000. Sirius still continues to lose money with a net loss of over $106.4 million for the quarter so it could make one a bit concerned.

DaleC

·
Registered
819 Posts
I have Sirius on my bike and love it, they just announced this mourning a NFL deal so if ya like FOOTBALL ya might want Sirius they also have 60 commercial free music stations. You can go to Siriusradio.com and check out the other satellite radio station. :yes2:

·
Registered
819 Posts
I took a trip from Indiana to the arctic circle over Fairbanks this summer with my Sirius radio and it worked perfect until I was about 100 miles south of Yukon then on the way back that is where I picked it up again. This week Sirius radio announced a deal pending to put Sirius in Canada so I'm sure you will see it for sale north of the boarder soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
XM Radio in Canada

I live in Calgary, been to Edmonton couple of times and my XM Radio works great. It's a Delphi Sky-Fi, I use it on my 1800, Ford Escape and boom box in the house and garage. The sound is even better than the local FM stations. I've had mine for about six months now and haven't gotten off the 60's channel yet. Try it, you'll like it.

Capt. Bob W.

·
Registered
6 Posts
XM Radio

I also have the Delphi system, mounted with RAM mounts to my left handlebar.
Only problem is that the unit will come out of the cradle going down the road even in the "locked" position. I have put a heavy rubber band around the unit to keep it in the cradle. Twice I caught the unit in mid air!!

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Don my favorites include:

7 - 70's music
8 - 80's music
45 - XM Cafe - modern adult alternative
50 - The Loft - acoustic sounds
122 - CNN
130 - The David Lawrence Show (Cnet Radio)

DaleC

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm hooked on the Comedy Channels

150 and 151.

Rick

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have mine mounted on the right side with a ram mount ,antenna on the brake reservoir. It's John F-ing Kerry Great * :lol: :wink: :D

Favorite Channels
8-80's
9-90's
20-Top 20
46-Top Tracks
61-The Flow
62-Suite 62
64-The Groove
121-Fox News ( Hannity & Colms )
124-ABC News ( Hannity,Larry Elder,Mitch Alba )
161-Discovery Channel
162-E Channel
165- ? Forgot[/img]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Xmradio

Put mine in trunk and ran extention cord under the seat to the jack in the left pocket put lighter outlet in trunk never gets wet and I can stop if I need to change channels

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gentlemen, Thank You for your replys. I bought the Delphi roady xm radio. Please tell Me what is the RAM mount/ and where do I purchase it? Thanks again, Jim

1 - 20 of 20 Posts