GL1800Riders Forums banner
81 - 89 of 89 Posts
I just moved my OEM GL1800 XM antenna puck to the back of the bike and have discovered that the pics in post #52 are in actuality the XM connection. :surprise:

I think.

The antenna puck would only plug into this one and not the one I was lead to believe was the XM. Pics in post #57, 58 and 59 are apparently the GPS.

I think.

I can no longer edit the above posts, (#52, 57, 58 & 59), to reflect this correction so they contain incorrect identification and location of these connectors.

I think.

My XM reception is changing with my moving this puck around so it seems safe to assume that this is the XM connector on a 2010.

I think.

Well...as it turns out...no change. Even with the GPS removed and put in the trunk, no reception traveling east. :surprise::frown2:

Now I'm flummoxed, maybe I'm am messing with the GPS puck? Tomorrow I will unplug this puck and see what doesn't work.

If it is the XM, next step is to make a bracket like you made Tom and put a ground wire on it.

I really like this location though.

Attachments

taint nothing wrong with that a ground plane is a good thing but unobstructed view of the sky is even better. Sorry you are having problems and I hope you did not pull apart your fairing to get at the antennas!

Tom

I really thought I had definitively determined that my Garmin 276C GPS was the issue, apparently not.

DAMMIT! The puck I have been messing with is the GPS. Unplugged it and xm continued unabated. Now to go out and dig out the right one.

It is the larger of the two pucks and is clearly labled XM Satellite Radio, on the underside, for anyone else removing it from the dash for re-location, it was the leftmost of the two pucks, (XM & GPS), on my bike.

Tom is exactly right on the connector colors and the pics in posts #52, 57, 58 & 59 are noted correctly. Grey is GPS and black is XM.

Now that I have moved the correct antenna I have much better XM reception, it appears trees are still going to interfere way too much but hopefully not quite as much.

It is located on the opposite side of the trunk, (left), as where the GPS puck ended up. Pics to come. I tried it just behind the passenger backrest, resting on the top of the trunk hump and the top of my luggage rack, was very level there. Southern travel the signal was blocked by my wonderful wife, unfortunately.

I'm sure with more riding we will find the shortcoming of it's present location but a trip in a loop involving the four compass points we had good reception. I suspect.travel. in a southeasterly direction will cause a dropout.

Still hoping Tom's adapters work out but in the meantime... much better than it was.

pics
Incidentally, I didn't have to remove the shelter, I removed;
the right fairing trim strip
the right fairing pocket
the dash & speaker cover
windshield garnish
windshield clamp strip
windshield
dash - don't forget the single screw on each side, behind the mirror assy.
The dash has to be separated to get to the pucks, 5 screws.

I was able to reach the GPS connector from under the right side tunnel and the XM connector through the right side pocket opening.
Attached Thumbnails

81 - 89 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.