GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2009 GW with Nav and my XM reception is always fading in and out. I live near the 45th parallel and so that could be part of the problem however I have an Inno and I have XM built into my truck and don't have near the problems as I do with the wing. Does anyone have a fix for this? Does anyone know where the antenna is located? Is there a signal booster that can be installed? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Ron

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
The antenna is located under the dash. The receiver is in the trunk, and is built into the GPS board.

I notice mine also seems to loose the signal very easily, and I think it may be related to the distance the antenna is from the receiver as well as the fact that it goes through 2 or 3 connectors along the way, which probably further attenuates the signal. I think Honda should have put the antenna up in the top of the trunk, but maybe they were worried it would interfere with the trunk remote receiver that is already up there.

About the only thing I can think of that might help would be to remove and clean and re-seat all the XM antenna connectors on the antenna lead. There is one under the seat on the right side (see photos 119 and 121 in the back of the ETM in the 09 Manual). There is also one on the GPS board itself.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I wonder if its poss to put one of those amplified GPS little square after market antennas on the xm? I use one of those 15 dollar things on my GPS , it locks onto the sats in seconds compared to the antenna built in to the gps witch may take 2~3 mins to lock on. Just a thought , I got mine off ebay and it had a few differant connectors availible for the end.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I have XM on my Harley, and it did the same thing. I found
a cure for the problem, cancelled my subscription! The reason I cancelled
it was due to the fact XM WOULD NOT let me have it for 6 months
only. Living in the north, I didn't like paying for the months the bike was
stored. I also had it in my car, and when they merged, all the talking
started. I got XM to listen to music, not people talking. I can listen
to free radio, if I wanted to hear people talk. I sure wish they would
go back to more music, but from what I hear, they are losing way
to many subscribers, and they may be in DEEP trouble very soon.
When I didn't renew the car, you can't believe the offers they are
willing to give you. I even heard from a friend of mine, that they
offer lifetime, for $395.00, with a $75.00 transfer fee from car
to car.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I love my XM...it makes long coast to coast drives bearable. I was an early adopter when they started up. Just added the bike and bike mounted XM last summer.

But I don't think it's the length of the antenna cord. I have my XM Roady XT on the bars and the antenna on top of the trunk just below the rear of the backrest (you can just barely see it in my avatar pic). Same radio in my Expedition and an even longer cable run to the back of the roof and great reception except when I am in a place where it's obvious what's blocking the signal.

I have taken it all the way around lake Superior and no reception issues unless there was a roof blocking the signal.

But I had to run it back there because it was screwing up my radar detector on the dash (I have one of the J&M dash pads with a small pocket for the xm antenna.

Fred may be right about multiple connectors though. What is the connector like on the radio unit itself? Could you attach an aftermarket antenna?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts