GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tested the Roady with the SPIII in the car. The Roady definitely affects the satellite signal when it is close to the SPIII. It can actually cause the SPIII to display 'Lost Satellite Signal'. The orientation of the Roady to the SPIII also impacts the signal of the SPIII. I found that wrapping the Roady in foil eliminates the interference, but does not impact the Roady signal strength or performance. Moving the antenna closer or farther from the SPIII had no effect.

I've decided to mount the Roady in the right fairing pocket. I can open the pocket with my knob key and read the display and operate the controls, plus it is weather proof and lockable.

If I get any interference I will wrap the outside of the recessed pocket with aluminum duct tape and put a thin plate of aluminum in the pocket cover.

I'll keep you posted.

Shooter Indy

http://groups.msn.com/gl1800/general.ms ... 0856984024

·
Registered
476 Posts
I had the Roady in the pocket for awhile, but had trouble reading the display and pushing the buttons especially with gloves. Aluminum is not so good for shielding. Ferrous based metals work better as shielding. There are also some copper based alloys that perform well.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Beryllium copper if I remember correctly is the best shielding material. It would be helpful to know what the frequency is of interference. i am not an engineer, but I know shielding can sometimes be complicated.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
That's interesting that you're getting interferance with the Roady and the SPIII. On the my Wing the Delphi SkyFi is about 2 feet away from my dash mount SPIII and in my SUV, my SkyFi receiver is about 4 inches from the SPIII and in neither vehicle do I have any type of interferrance problem. Must be something unique to the Roady.

DaleC

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The orientation of the Roady in the pocket should minimize the interference. I don't know all the technical info on how shielding works, but I can say the aluminum foil did the job. I hope I don't need to shield it, but if I do I'll find a way. Tomorrow I'll get the bike out of my shop and get on with the testing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.