GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Tish said:
Has any one hooked the delphi roady direct to the power with out using the cig lighter for power. Just got my roady today :D
The Roady is 6V so you must reduce the bikes 12V. The easist way is with the "cig lighter" adapter. An added plus is that the Roady adapter has a built in 2AMP fuse.

What I did was order two power sockets and a y-connector from Lewis at E/C. Make sure you get the 3 pin sockets for the left pocket. I installed one socket in the left pocket with the y-connector. I attached the other power socket to the other side of the Y and tucked it behind the pocket. I installed the Roady connector to this second power socket and ran the power through the grommet into the left pocket. This freed up the power socket in left pocket for cell phone, etc. Just remember this power source is hot with the key. For a "always hot" source go to the trunk power socket.

Another way is to get a FM modulator from Delphi and connect your Roady using this. The modulator has a built in power cord.

You will also want to order the ground loop from Lewis at E/C to eliminate the alternator noise.

I should mention that all these E/C products are also available from Hal so you can use your supplier of choice.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
without doubt dont go the fm mod method, too much signal loss. even the factory manual for the roady shows that.

how about a tap in on the left power plug and have a second lighter up inside the fairing hole.

loren

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I don't have a cigarette lighter (Acc.) plug in the pocket area and my under-pocket area is FULL, so I modified my power supply unit, installed a solid-state fuse and attached a pigtail unit to it so I could plug it into the Acc. plug.

I've been thinking about making a power supply for these units for those people who don't want the lighter socket issue and don't want to use the FM Modulator...

·
Registered
23 Posts
DC-DC Converter

I ordered one of these the other day:
http://www.2wheelinnovations.com/dc--_dc_converter.htm

They offer one with the coaxial plug for Delphi XM with various styles of termination:
http://www.2wheelinnovations.com/electr ... sories.htm

We'll see how they work. I'm going to connect it to the CB power connector - and BTW I'm also using a Terk X-11 antenna rather than the little mouse style. I haven't decided on a location yet - I'm leaning toward either the trunk hump or on the nose.....

·
Registered
378 Posts
After corresponding with Jon, I disassembled my SkyFi plug, followed his directions and came up with a nice little unit that plugs in under the LH pocket. Ran the power wire through the wire chase in the LH handlebar along with the antenna wire and aux output. With the SkyFi cradle mounted on a RAM/CycleGadgets mount, there are no wires visible. Looks like it came with the bike and works well. Thanks again, Jon.

markie

·
Registered
191 Posts
xm installed

i got the xm unit and had best buy install it. they patched it in directly so i can play it even in the aux key position. no wires showing. even the antenna is hidden under the front cowl so nothing is visible. they put the unit in the left front pocket. kinda hard to change channels while riding but i usually put it on one thing and leave it till i stop. nice clean sound until you go under an overpass.

·
Registered
191 Posts
xm installed

i got the xm unit and had best buy install it. they patched it in directly so i can play it even in the aux key position. no wires showing. even the antenna is hidden under the front cowl so nothing is visible. they put the unit in the left front pocket. kinda hard to change channels while riding but i usually put it on one thing and leave it till i stop. nice clean sound until you go under an overpass.

G

·
Jim n Judy said:
You will also want to order the ground loop from Lewis at E/C to eliminate the alternator noise.

I should mention that all these E/C products are also available from Hal so you can use your supplier of choice.

Hi - I'm looking at's Hal's and I am unsure of which device you are referring to.

Is it this one? ELE-03204 (inline power filter)

or this one? ELE-03205 (inline audio filter)

Jim

G

·
JimVeneskey said:
Jim n Judy said:

You might try the radio first. I bought a ground loop filter from EC, but never installed it. I don['t have any alternator whine, when listening to XM Radio, or anything else. Since "it weren't broke", I decided not to "fix" it.

Jim

G

·
MarkM said:
You might try the radio first. I bought a ground loop filter from EC, but never installed it. I don['t have any alternator whine, when listening to XM Radio, or anything else. Since "it weren't broke", I decided not to "fix" it.
I did try the radio - and I have the alternator whine when the engine is running.

Jim

·
Registered
14 Posts
Guys, I took the regular Roady cig lighter adapter, not the one with the RF mod in it. I cut the cig adapter off and hard wired to the acc screws on the fuse box. I dont think the unit is 6 volts as mine has over 1000 miles on it now. And when I cut off the part that plugs into the lighter socket, I took it apart and there was no electronics to take 12 volts to 6 volts.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I bought a power cord w/ regulator from www.2wheelinnovations.com. I think it was model 1301. It comes with a plug that goes into the Roady and uses a couple of connectors so that it can go in series with the Power socket I have mounted in my left fairing pocket. Works great, well built, and now I have a free socket in my pocket! :lol: :lol:

Rob

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
castines said:
Guys, I took the regular Roady cig lighter adapter, not the one with the RF mod in it. I cut the cig adapter off and hard wired to the acc screws on the fuse box. I dont think the unit is 6 volts as mine has over 1000 miles on it now. And when I cut off the part that plugs into the lighter socket, I took it apart and there was no electronics to take 12 volts to 6 volts.
Did it look like this? This is the adapter that came with my XM Roady.

This picture was taken just before I modified my Roady adapter to run at 5 volts instead of 6 volts. I wanted to use it on my Creative Nomad Zen Xtra Jukebox, which specifies 5 volts power input. :arrow: The big plus is that the Roady still works perfectly at 5 volts, and doesn't get as hot. The plug on the other end of the cord fits either unit, so now I can use the adapter on either the Roady or the Jukebox, depending on which I want to listen to.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bob in De.. You are right, I took apart the wrong plug!!!!!! Oh well, I guess the Roady can handle 12 volts.. so far! Gets a little warm, but like I said its got over 1100 miles on it now.

If i fry it, I will just have to get the new Roady 2 :oops:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts