GL1800Riders Forums banner

XM Satellite Receivers

2K views 18 replies 19 participants last post by  cptdenny 
#1 ·
What brand of XM recievers are most of you using on your GL1800's? Please tell me a little bit about how it's connected and how does it transmit to your factory radio?

Do any of you have an XM Xpress model XMC-10A by Audiovox?

I have a Sirius on my Goldwing but I'm trying to help a friend choose an XM receiver for his 1800.

My Sirius Sportster transmits directly to the factory radio without a modulator.

#2 ·
I just installed a AGT Sportscaster on my '07 Wing. I intended to run the audio through the AUX port but it has a pretty decent FM modulator built in. easy install and I velcroed it right below the key switch - easy to get to controls and to see what's playing.

Steve
'07 Audio/Comfort/Nav - Blue

#4 ·
i use an older Delphi Roady. i have it hooked to the aux input but i ran it over to the right hand lockable box. i dont change stations that often so the lock doesnt matter. now i don't have to remove it when i'm not with the bike. the antenna is on top of the dash. it works great. i like xm better than sirus.
hope this helps. good luck.

#5 ·
I use the XM2Go model with the built in FM modulator. However, I do not use the modulator on the bike, I plug directly into the Aux cable. It comes with a "personal" antenna that is intended to be worn on your hat or on a backpack. However, it also has a suction cup mount that lets you easily stick it to the inside of the windshield. It also comes with a self-contained internal antenna but I have not had much luck with it. It also comes with the magnetic auto antenna that could be velcroed to the dash under the vent if you wanted to. The personal works for me, and it is easily removable.

Works great.

Pics.
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/kg5ie/album ... 2337544685

Good luck!

#6 ·
I have the Roady 2 , mounted to the left handle bar. you can purchase the Ram-X mount just for the XM radio and antenna. I have a splitter from the Aux cable in the left fairing pocket. I plug the XM into one and my MP3 player in the other. I just turn on which ever one I want to listen to. Piece of cake install really. Here are a couple of pics of mine.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/waughjoey/a ... 2387069593

#7 ·
I use the Delphi SkyFi II with its FM modulator. The thing I like most about it is that it stores the most recent 30 minutes of music and you can move back and forth through it at will.

#9 ·
kg5ie said:
I use the XM2Go model with the built in FM modulator. However, I do not use the modulator on the bike, I plug directly into the Aux cable. It comes with a "personal" antenna that is intended to be worn on your hat or on a backpack. However, it also has a suction cup mount that lets you easily stick it to the inside of the windshield. It also comes with a self-contained internal antenna but I have not had much luck with it. It also comes with the magnetic auto antenna that could be velcroed to the dash under the vent if you wanted to. The personal works for me, and it is easily removable.

Works great.

Pics.
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/kg5ie/album ... 2337544685

Good luck!

How is the reception????

#10 ·
I use my Garmin 2730 too. Mine is on a RAM ball mount on the left clutch master cylinder cover and its right there where I can see it and use it without losing sight of the road. I had a Roady II set-up the same way and it was great too, but reception is even better with Garmin.

prs

#11 ·
Roady II here, mounted on a 12$ Verizon cell phone stand, mounted to the outside of the left front pocket, powered by the Power cable plug Honda sells connected in the pocket, FM modulator connection to the radio and the XM antenna is velcroed to the dash cover right next to the pocket. It took 20 mins to install, I rarely have to change the FM Station when I travel to find a clear Frequency, and believe me I travel.

Reception is perfect 98% of the time, I can remove everything and stash it in the trunk in one minute. Works great.

#12 ·
Roady ll velcroed inside the left fairing pocket going on 2 years now, i don't change stations very often so it works fine for me however there are times when i do wish i could see the screen while driving, overall i do prefer the out of sight and weather location, XM antenna is mounted under the dash (works great) out of sight so most never have a clue that i have XM

#13 ·
Ispedbyu said:
Roady II here, mounted on a 12$ Verizon cell phone stand, mounted to the outside of the left front pocket, powered by the Power cable plug Honda sells connected in the pocket, FM modulator connection to the radio and the XM antenna is velcroed to the dash cover right next to the pocket. It took 20 mins to install, I rarely have to change the FM Station when I travel to find a clear Frequency, and believe me I travel.

Reception is perfect 98% of the time, I can remove everything and stash it in the trunk in one minute. Works great.
Just one question? Why would you use the FM modulator when the aux input cable is as close as your d.c. power cord? This makes a huge improvement :!: After reading your post for a 2nd & 3rd time I think you are saying you use the aux connection which defeats the FM Modulator in the Roady II. Now I am confussed :?: No that can't be correct then you wouldn't have to change FM stations for a clear signal... Dunno... :roll:

#14 ·
I have the MyFi. It's mounted on a wooden block in front of the key at a 45 degree angle. This puts it in easy reach and makes the display easier to see.

I also use the FM modulator because I haven't gotten the ground loop isolator yet, so I get a buzz when the MyFi is plugged into both bike power and aux. I can use either one but not both at the same time (unless I get the GLI). It's also one less wire to deal with. The fidelity isn't really an issue when I'm on the road anyway.

#15 ·
I have my XM RoadyII velcroed to dash below key so I can change channels at will. I velcro my antenna above the key...plug it into cigerette lighter in left pocket. I receive through my GW radio FM, if I want local stations, they are there with a push of a button. Why velcro vs neat, gee whiz mount...I move the RoadyII to my motor home when on a trip. Some might say velcro...uggh. When it not velcroed on the trike, the trike is in the barn. Looks good and works great!! 47 seconds to move to motor home.

#16 ·
MyFi

I'm using an XM MyFi mounted on a RAM mount on my left handlebar. It can run on internal batteries or plug it into a cigar lighter. The FM modulator works well with the GL1800 FM radio.

The one thing that I learned was to zip tie the cradle because one day, when the radio wasn't mounted, I clipped the cradle with my hand and it flew apart onto the pavement. Fortunately I was able to recover the parts and none were damaged. Now it's secure. When the radio is mounted, it seems tight enough for normal riding.

They keep raising the price for this unit. I bought it new for Christmas 2005 for $84 after rebates and now the refurbished version is $100 with no rebates. I wish that I'd bought two of them in 2005 just to get the extra car kit and home kit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.