GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have XM and have a significant number of dropouts when riding the treed roads around here (Maryland).

I wondered if the Sirius radio would do any better (or worse) do to the difference in satellite locations.

I'd appreaciate any experiences or references anyone can provide.

Thanks,

·
Registered
740 Posts
I have a Sirius Starmate 1 and have the same results. Buildings, trees, tunnells, etc cause a drop of signal. It's the nature of the beast.

Bob VanNess
Royal Oak, MI

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
a lot has to do with where you mount the antenna. Mine is mounted in the center of the dash and unless there is really tall buildings or mountains I never lose my signal.

·
Registered
206 Posts
With either service you will certainly find situations where you won't get satellite reception.

Both XM and Sirius have terrestial repeaters in major metropolitan areas to give service where you don't get good satellite reception, as well as indoors. How many, and where, these are is fairly private information, and about the only way you will be able to tell if there is coverage that will serve you is to actually use the service.

With regard to satellite location, XM uses geosynchronous satellites over the equater, while Sirius uses 3 satellites in varying orbital positions over the north/central US. At least in theory Sirius should provide better service in more northern locations, however it again depends on your immediate surroundings (deep canyon, heavy tree growths, city buildings, etc. will all interrupt signal). I have travelled all 48 of the lower US states and all bordering Canadian provinces with Sirius on my bike, and rarely had service interruptions. Can't speak for XM because I don't subscribe to it.

Carl

·
Registered
425 Posts
I use Sirius and over 1 1/2 years and 30,000 miles, I have lost signal twice, not including tunnels. My antenna is mounted above the trunk and right behind the passenger backrest. Also I am usually without a passenger.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts