GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In our opinion commercials on XM are fewer and less annoying. Could be the channels that we tune in but they are not commercial free.

Why not Sirrus? For us it was the size/portability of the Roady and subscription price. Can't remeber exactly but seems to me we were quoted a higher price for Sirrus.

·
Registered
819 Posts
pay for radio

I've had Sirius all summer and it is great, 60 channels of music commercial free. If I'm going to pay for radio I sure don't want to listen to commericals. Satellite Radio is just great for anyone wanting to travel across country or even into canada. :D
O yes why not Sirius? well I think it costs $12 a month and xm costs 10? go to Siriusradio. com and check it out you can even listen to it over your computer. My radio is an older model so I don't know how the new models are doing.

·
Registered
143 Posts
We've decided on the Sirius, too, with the Audiovox receiver. Sure, the monthly subscription price ($12.95) is a little more than XM, but it's ALL commercial free. Plus, if you pay for a one year subscription, then it brings the total subsciption price almost down to the yearly XM cost.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Re: XM vrs Sirius

FWIW, I plan to subscribe to Sirius. Two reasons:

- No commercials
- Availability of NPR channels

I'm willing to pay a slightly higher monthly subscription for that. But for anyone who may be in the market for satellite radio, I offer the following cautions:

- XM didn't have commercials either . . . at first
- XM is whipping Sirius' ass in sales & subscriptions

So if you get Sirius, you may wind up with commercials anyway, and there's no guarantee those Sirius satellites won't become XM satellites some day.

·
Registered
37 Posts
JPOURT said:
Sirius has two satellites where XM only has one. This means you have less signal loss with sirius.
Sorry, they both have two satellites. XM has one south of the east coast and another south of the west coast near the equator. Signal loss is probable with either system if something that blocks radio frequencies gets between you and the satellite(s). XM claims to have placed lots of repeaters in places where the satellites would normally be blocked, but I have no experience with them that I know of. Might help in the middle of a city where the buildings block the southern sky. I try to avoid those kinds of places with my wing.

Just trying to keep to the facts.

I went XM with the Roady. But I listened to Sirius for months via the internet. Both sound great and have a wonderful selection of music. Something for every taste. NPR is a Sirius exclusive.

BTW - Circuit City has a sale on it this week and www.XMRadio.com is offering a free 'Home kit' with proof of purchase. What a deal!

·
Registered
172 Posts
LeRoy's correct. Also XM has had commercials on some channels since startup.

:rat: Bake

·
Registered
307 Posts
Sirius has 3

LeRoyK said:
JPOURT said:
Sirius has two satellites where XM only has one. This means you have less signal loss with sirius.
Sorry, they both have two satellites.
Just trying to keep to the facts.

I!
Here's a quote from Sirius web page
"Every second of the day, SIRIUS is shooting those 100 streams of amazing radio straight into the heavens to our three :roll: state-of-the-art satellites that rotate in figure eight, geo-synchronous orbits around the earth." I added the emoticon.

I had XM, it never worked when we rode south or west. Sirius works all the time,we rode from Ohio to California and back and it never missed a beat. Everyone has to make their own choice, but for me Sirius has better programs, stronger signals and even had a better price. We bought a deal that is a flat fee for the LIFE of the radio . So if the radio lasts 3 years, its less than $8.50 a month. :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
33 Posts
xm

I have run coast to coast in auto,trucks and bikes and had no problem with the xm system. I paid for two years and like the system. Sometimes reception has alot to do with installation. I have my antenna under trunk lid with full signal. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sirus

I bought the Sirus about a month ago. I wanted all commercial free music so the sirus was my choice. I have a long haul trucker friend also and he has had both and his opinion is that the sirus had much better reception with less dropped signals. I bought mine at Circuit City. They had a sale that if you bought the antena they threw in the receiver, installed it, and gave me a three year warranty. The install they did was very professional. Installed the receive in the trunk and routed all the wires to the aux imput etc. I mounted the control head on the right handlebar and it is really nice. I love it a lot. I also can listen to it on my computer at work and at home. I think they may still be offering the same deal.

·
Registered
819 Posts
sat radio

I've been watching this satellite radio thing for about 5 years and Sirius has 3 Sat's xm has 2 like someone said lets keep to the facts now then you will never see xm take over Sirius because xm would then have a monopoly which is illegal. I road to Alaska this year and the Sirius worked great all the way to the Yukon border and I have to wonder if the xm would of done as well with there 2 satellites sitting on the equator in geostationary orbit. The Sirius satellites are passing over head 2 in sight all the time at a higher angle in an elliptical orbit with one on the other side of the earth as one comes up one goes down. :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
XM to Canada and more...

had XM on the road trip to British Columbia in July, it was awesome! love this thing! Keep changing channels, it's amazing what good music is!

Colm
~Thanksgiving Day was all Bond on Cinemagic, how awesome is that?

·
Registered
30 Posts
XM

I have two XM's. I have been all over the west in my car with XM and it worked everywhere. Just have the antenna sitting in the back window.

I don't care for the NPR liberal slant, so I don't care about that.

I listen to Fox News all the time on the XM.

The music stations don't have commercials, but they do have DJ's. I really like the personality that the DJ's put into the stations. They will talk (briefly) about a band that just played or an upcoming concert on XM or a song coming up. I like this.

XM also plays In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida every Saturday night at 11:00 eastern.

Tom

·
Registered
810 Posts
XM Radio vs Sirius - the right answer!

When you really come down to it, the radio's are very, very similar. Minor arguements can be made as to the portability of one versus another, or one's 6v and one's 12 volt, but I really don't think that is the issue, nor is the small different in monthly costs as the life subscription for Sirius offsets much of the cost differential for XM.

In my opinion, if you are going to consider either of these radios, you need to take about two weeks and listen to them.

Each of the vendor's has a website where you can get streaming media downloads to your computer, either at home, or at work, and listen to the channels.

For example, and this is simply my case. I listened to XM for a week. I bought it actually. I like to listen to the 70's, 80's and smooth jazz (Sanborn, Dulfer, Waters, Kenny G). No matter when I listed to these channels on XM, I just wasn't impressed. Some songs were good, but I simply wasn't all that happy and I heard more commercials that I expected.

Then I went and listened to the Sirius site and fell in love with their jazz channel and almost equally liked the 70's and 80's.

Both vendors have very similar channels, but both vendors play different mixes. YOU need to stop and listen to both. Don't buy the radio assuming you'll like a certain channel.

Sirius is pretty neat in that once you subscribe, you get a streaming media code that allows you to d/l the stream to your desktop at work.

Just my opinion. I think anyone will be happy with either, but go out and listen to the songs first and buy it based upon what you enjoy hearing.

·
Registered
307 Posts
mcallery is right

I too am much happier with the music and programs od Sirius. I had an XM radio and I am now able to say that Sirius is more in line with what I want to hear. You should take the time to compare the 2 systems, they are very different, and get the one that suits you the best. As a side note I do believe that the Sirius signal to an antenna mounted on a Gl1800 is stronger here in the NW of the USA than the XM signal was. On a car or truck, I doubt that would be an issue. :chatter:

:yw1:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts