GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to connect a Garmin Zumo 665 to the on-board XM antenna on a 2010 with Navi?

I'd rather do that than purchase another Garmin antenna since the Honda has one in it already.

I also don't want to use the Honda Navi for the weather since it's an additional subscription, and the Zumo 665 is much... no, MUCH better, more useful and functional than the Honda Navi.

I use the 665 for multiple vehicles, so connecting to the Honda XM antenna would eliminate the need to keep moving the Garmin antenna back and forth.

Thank you for whatever advice, help or ideas that you might have.

Have a blessed and Happy Jesus' Birthday Season!

·
Vendor
21,984 Posts
I'd have to see what the 665 antenna looked like, but if it is similar to the Hockey Puck antenna my 376C uses, then the answer is no. The XM hockey puck antenna is a powered antenna, and I don't believe the one on the Wing is a powered unit. I think your XM weather subscription is also tied to the internal serial number of the antenna itself on your Zumo, so even if you could get it to physically work, I think then you'd have subscription problems.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fred. (Love your videos, by the way!!!)

The subscription is through the unit, not the antenna. I borrowed another antenna to find this out for sure. With a different antenna that was out of the box new, I still had weather.

Yes, it is the small "hockey puck" design, with a connection shaped like a trapezoid.

·
Vendor
21,984 Posts
Thanks Fred. (Love your videos, by the way!!!)

The subscription is through the unit, not the antenna. I borrowed another antenna to find this out for sure. With a different antenna that was out of the box new, I still had weather.

Yes, it is the small "hockey puck" design, with a connection shaped like a trapezoid.
Interesting. Maybe I'm misinformed about the way the subscription works, or maybe it works differently on my 376c, but I thought the antenna was somehow registered to the unit.

The connector plugs on the OEM Honda Navi are much different from the mini USB connector on my 376c for the hockey puck antenna, they are simply a two pin plug, which tells me it isn't a powered antenna.

·
Vendor
21,984 Posts
Here's a photo of the connectors that plug into the Nav unit in the trunk. The two small ones are for the antenna's. One is for the XM and one is for the GPS, though I'm not sure which one is which, but I think the small black one is for the XM.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/image/140224052

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's the borrowed antenna. It's exactly the same as my existing one. I wonder if it can be adapted to the bike. My guess is "no". I thought that antenna wires were just a couple of wires, but it actually looks more complicated than that.
Thanks anyway Fred.
Incidentally, I'm giving a set of your Concourse DVDs to a friend of mine tomorrow. I'm sure that he'll get as much out of them as I get from my Goldwing set. Thank you for making these available!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I'd have to see what the 665 antenna looked like, but if it is similar to the Hockey Puck antenna my 376C uses, then the answer is no. The XM hockey puck antenna is a powered antenna, and I don't believe the one on the Wing is a powered unit. I think your XM weather subscription is also tied to the internal serial number of the antenna itself on your Zumo, so even if you could get it to physically work, I think then you'd have subscription problems.
Exactly the problem with using the 665 that way. I have two antennas...one for the truck and have to pay twice if I use the second antenna. Your XM satellite ID for the 665 comes off the antenna, not the 665 unit itself. So it's not just the weather, it's music too.

You could test this I think, by disconnecting the XM antenna on the bike and seeing if your radio id number still shows up on channel one. If it does, then you know that the xm radio ID on the Wing is in the radio itself and for sure that the antennas are not compatible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts