GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2009 Wing in Texas and I was impressed with the XM Weather. I live near the Canada US border (Opposite Port Huron Michigan) and much to my surprise, the weather mapping stops at the border.
I'm not sure what the service is like in Canada because I'm still getting free US service.
My issue is if you ride near the border, you don't get the full weather picture. If your on the American side you don't know if there is something coming from the north (assuming your south of the border).
I have the opposite problem, while riding in Canada I have no mapping on our side of the border. Fortunately I do see whats comming from Michigan.
Am I the only one that is bothered by this? Why does XM cut us off at the border?

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
XM is US only. I don't know if you can get a Canadian version or not, but it would not work in the US if you did.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
XM is US only. I don't know if you can get a Canadian version or not, but it would not work in the US if you did.
XM is XM is XM..., regardless of whether it's Canadian or US. It all comes from the same satelite and it doesn't care where the receiver is. If it's Nexrad radar, it's not a problem, but if it's the cheesy pruned-down version you get for the built-in system on the Wing, it's a whole other thing

It's not so much what XM is sending you..., it's what XM is receiving from its data source. I get Nexrad radar on my Garmin 478 without a problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts