GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just received the wiring from Kennedy Tech for my RoadyXT. I purchased the clutch reservoir mount from Cyclegadgets and I'd like some advise on routing the power/audio wire from under the left pocket to the clutch reservoir area. I'm also considering just mounting everything in the left pocket, but I'd rather have it at the clutch.

Thanks in advance, Dan

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Run the wires out from under the pocket toward the headlights, then up the handlebar to the mount. Just be sure to leave enough slack so the wiring doesn't impede steering, and secure the wiring so it doesn't get chafed by the handlebrs, etc when steering.

I used a soldering iron to burn a small hole near the edge of the plastic that constitutes the inboard side of the pocket where the wires come out behind the headlight, and then used a cable tie to secure the wiring as it exited the pocket area. I then used a series of cable ties to fix the wiring to the underside of the left handlebar, leaving just enough slack for the handlebars to move fully from one stop to the other without stressing the wiring.

·
Registered
120 Posts
DanP said:
I've just received the wiring from Kennedy Tech for my RoadyXT. I purchased the clutch reservoir mount from Cyclegadgets and I'd like some advise on routing the power/audio wire from under the left pocket to the clutch reservoir area. I'm also considering just mounting everything in the left pocket, but I'd rather have it at the clutch.

Thanks in advance, Dan
Your routing question was answered. As to installing IN the left pocket... you need the antenna running out anyway. Also, I wanted mine where I could hit the on/off button and change the channels if necessary.

Cheers.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Running wires to handlebars

Hello,
Another way to consider since you have to run the antenna is : run from the rear of the left pocket, go throught that little crack, to the frame go forward and nylon tie it to the brake or clutch cable, leave room for steering movement, come up the handlebar, make sure not to pench or cut any of the bikes cable or wires, or your new xm wires. I just installed the gps with XM and that was the route I took. I had a skyfi XM before and ran the antenna wire to that little armrest for the passenger with double sided tape. Good Luck

·
Registered
130 Posts
I use the AuxSwitchSet to control audio from my iWay and xmRoady. The AuxSwitchSet is under the left pocket; the XM is on the brake reservoir; the wiring (well protected in its woven, black, fiberglass sheath) is routed from under the left pocket, over the gauges (under the gauge fascia & below the dash), onto the triple tee/handlebar on the right (about 4" of the black wire sheath is visible), up the under-side of the right handlebar and up to the mount on top of the brake reservoir.

It's all hidden except for the 4" of wiring inside the black sheath - and that's way down in the fairing tunnel at the triple tee.

I also purchased an XM antenna with a very short (about 10" long) wire lead. I have no antenna wire to bundle up and stuff out of sight.

·
Premium Member
19,868 Posts
run the wire THROUGH the handle bars.Two screws and the plasic bottom comes off from the bars. Also if you dont want to cut or spend the $$$ FOR THE OVERPRICED SHORTER CABLED ANTENNA. JUST LOOP THE WIRE THRU THE BARS AND LOOP TOGETHER AND TIE WIE UNDERNEATH THE FAIRING DRAWER. LEAVE A LITTle 2-3 " SLACK FOR TURING. mINE IS SET UP THIS WAY AND YOU SEE NO CABLES. sorry for the caps

1 - 6 of 6 Posts