GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone used or own this unit? Thinking about get a detector for when I ride the Trace, hard to stay a 50mph on there. Not wanting to spend a lot as I wont use it much. Just seeing a lot of them on ebay and was wandering if they are any good

Thanks

JB

·
Registered
289 Posts
"They" overall are not worth it, but.... The Valentine 1 or the latest Bell will do the job. They are not cheap but I can attest to the Valentines performance. IT WORKS one you learn to use it / trust it. I have heard others say the top of the line Bell performs well also.
The Valentine 1 is the best, period. But Bell is close.

I don't leave home without my Valentine !!!

Ti04

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
If you google for radar detectors, you'll find the Valentine 1 is best for some scenarios, the Passport 8500 (x50) is best in others. The 8500 is a lot cheaper. The Bell is a Valentine 1 in a different dress.

None of them are waterproof, to my knowledge. None of them are battery only, either.

David M.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Close, but one main difference....

The Valentine tells you not only that there is radar, but how many And where they are ( front, back, or sides ). Once you learn to "read" the signals, you don't get caught in the different tricks they use. I have been saved more than once because of these extra features.

As far as actual signal range, type, etc. I'm sure the Bel and Valentine will be very close in detecting distance, but again, the extra info from the Valentine can make the difference.

However, having either or both of these does not mean you should drive beyond you capabilities or road conditions. Fast can still be safe but only under certain situations and with extra "focus".

Ride safe so you can ride again another day,

Ti04

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the replies, that helps a lot, looks like I need to hold off and consider a Valentine

Thanks again

JB

·
Registered
309 Posts
Re: Close, but one main difference....

Ti04 said:
The Valentine tells you not only that there is radar, but how many And where they are ( front, back, or sides ). Once you learn to "read" the signals, you don't get caught in the different tricks they use. I have been saved more than once because of these extra features.

As far as actual signal range, type, etc. I'm sure the Bel and Valentine will be very close in detecting distance, but again, the extra info from the Valentine can make the difference.

However, having either or both of these does not mean you should drive beyond you capabilities or road conditions. Fast can still be safe but only under certain situations and with extra "focus".

Ride safe so you can ride again another day,

Ti04
I concur. I have two Valentines and one 8500. Both provide about the same warning distance but, hands down, Valentine's directional indicators win the day by a long shot.

·
Registered
123 Posts

This , I think is the best mount, because it out of the way and easy to
remove and store. The fel-cro is fast and grips good.
The hide behind gives it rain protection. You can hear it at and above
highway speeds. It does take two little holes you can't even see if
you took of the mount. I have had this for 14,000 miles and it is
flawless.
I am so glad I went this way instead of that handle christmas tree.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts