GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been able to see or ride the Yamaha Super Tenere yet? Delivery was set to begin in June, I don't know if they mean start shipping in June or arrival in June. I think they had to be pre-ordered like the FJR was for a while. I really like some of the features of it, especially the ergos of that style of bike.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Has anyone been able to see or ride the Yamaha Super Tenere yet? Delivery was set to begin in June, I don't know if they mean start shipping in June or arrival in June. I think they had to be pre-ordered like the FJR was for a while. I really like some of the features of it, especially the ergos of that style of bike.
Back in early April the local Yammy dealer had "Demo Days". I went and rode the FJR. There was a Super Tenere in the lineup of about 10 bikes available for a test. I didn't look closely at it, but my impression was that it was similar in appearance to the genera of dual-sports: KLR, V-Strom, GS, etc.

I know that's not much help, but I got to see more than a photo. :shrug:

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I've had mine for 9 days now and like it a lot. It's a pretty fast bike for a twin, probably not fast compared to the roadrace bikes, but ample power I'd say. Some guys don't like the seat (something real NEW there). I find it works fine. The stock windshield some don't like, (another real surprise there), but it works fine for me too. It's a whole different animal than the goldwing of course, give it throttle at low RPMs and you really feel the pulsing, like a thumper. At high revs smooth as can be. I really like the big luggage rack coupled with the rear of the seat I can tie on about anything I need. I use my motorcycle like a truck so need this. Having a centerstand is nice, shaft drive works great. It's a fun bike I think. I'd never get rid of the goldwing, but the tenere is my daily work bike now.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
shaft drive works great.
I didn't even realize those had shaft drive. That peaks my interest
a little more. Now, what are the chances those are actually sealed
rims with tubeless tires?

Herb

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Yes they are tubeless tires and they use a common size tire as used on the BMW1200GS so all kind of tire choices.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Yes they are tubeless tires and they use a common size tire as used on the BMW1200GS so all kind of tire choices.
:thumbup: A shaft drive & tires you can plug on the run. Sounds like a safe
bike to be far away from home with. Congrats.

Herb

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This bike really peaks my interest for a second bike. I like the riding position and the versatility, though I would use it 80% or more on road. I did a 300 mile day on my KLR with 80 miles of that off road so I think I would enjoy the Yamaha. Was also looking at the Triumph Tiger but the Tenere has features I like better.

thanks for the info Fluke.

·
Registered
780 Posts
That is a neat looking bike and its not like it is new, just new to the USA as its been in Europe for quite awhile. Maybe someday:thumbup:

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
Lakeside Sports, Mecosta, Michigan, has one on the showroom floor. It is black, no bags, etc. It has not been sold, and the saleman told me "they fanangled a way to get it". I sat on it, but thought it was a little too tall for me. I am 6-0, with a 33 inch inseam. If I were a little younger, I could be interested in that bike. This coming week-end Lakeside is having a Jamboree bike festival, food, bikes, etc. The Super Tenere will be displayed, along with the Victory's, which they sell. Excellent Victory/Yamaha dealership. Plus, the saleman there knows bikes, which is unusual, at least in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
This is the bike I have been waiting almost a year for..
Got it, and the farkling has begun. lol

Really nice bike with great suspension. Here is a pic on my rack, installing the goodies..

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 1000 miles on my Super Tenere and really enjoying the bike. I bought it for 1up adventure (ie, road/off road) touring and keeping the Wing for two up road touring. After riding the Super Tenere, boy do I notice the bad stock suspension on the Wing (need to take care of that this Winter).

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
I have a 1000 miles on my Super Tenere and really enjoying the bike. I bought it for 1up adventure (ie, road/off road) touring and keeping the Wing for two up road touring. After riding the Super Tenere, boy do I notice the bad stock suspension on the Wing (need to take care of that this Winter).

How dare you!!! LOL

Congrats on the new bikes guys....what's the HP on this model?

·
Registered
476 Posts
I rode one at the local demo day along with the FJR. This bike has got some torque, almost lifted the front wheel while behind the demo lead rider! I thought the suspension soaked up bumps really well, bike was well balanced and had nice ergo's. It did have some vibs in the bars compared to the Vstrom which is really smooth and what I am used to. Nice bike, you should enjoy it. If I was rich I'd have me an FJR, that was one sweet ride.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts