GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1500 miles under 24 hours that is!!

Imagine a man who shows relatively little outward excitement compared to most people, who has just achieved somewhat of a record accomplishment for his personal motorcycling career. What do you think that guy would do? Would he jump up and down with clinched fists and a blissful expression of conquest on his face? NO!! The facial expression would more likely say something like, "Talk to you later, I really need to get some sleep!"

I posted a notice in the “Rides” forum that I was going to attempt this ride. I had to change the route at the last minute. Although I wanted to take the interstates flanking the Appalachian Mountains, the weather wasn't looking good along the route. I also contemplated taking a route to Dallas, Texas, but decided that traffic in Dallas might slow me down too much so I didn't want to risk it. I opted for a route through the wide-open countryside of Arkansas and Oklahoma, and that strategy worked out very well.

The actual mileage from start to finish was 1528 miles. I covered the distance in 22 hours, 12 minutes, averaging 68.7 mph over the total time (including parked time), about 77 mph for the time the bike was actually moving, and about 75 mph for the total time the bike ignition was in the "on" position. I got pulled over once by an Arkansas State Trooper who tagged me at 85 mph (after I hit the brakes). He let me go with a warning after checking my license and about 5 minutes of conversation that amounted to how much he missed his riding days! One of the nicest State Troopers I've ever met, and he hardly put a dent in my overall average (Thank you ASP for the courtesy!!)

It was an intense pace. Each stop amounted to filling the tank, a quick trip to the restroom, and then back on the road again. There were no food or drink breaks except once at the mid-point of the route.

The hardest part was the cold temperatures during the night on the ride back, the temps fell to 38 degrees and I only had my regular riding gloves with me. I alternated holding the bars with one hand while holding the other hand inside the right or left radiator housing for warmth.

There is only a small percentage of people in the world who not would perceive this 22 grueling hours as anything but torture, much less as fun, that's why I wanted to share it with YOU!! :lol:

Overall Route: Decatur, Alabama to Shawnee, Oklahoma

This little fuel detour cost me about 20 minutes

At Shawnee, Oklahoma I downed 2 slices of pizza and a soda and then flip-flopped for the second half. :p

Mid-point scenic loop, Shawnee, Oklahoma

I've included a couple shots of my GPS from the beginning and end of the trip. The clock for the end of the trip shows 5:35:45, which makes it look like I actually completed the ride in 21 hours, 12 minutes. However, the GPS picked up on the change to daylight savings time and set the clock back an hour automatically, I didn't think to switch it out of auto mode before heading out. The elapsed time is correct, the GPS only records time elapsed for when the GPS is on. There is about 1hour, 55 minutes of time not accounted for in the timers. That was the time that the bike was shut off at the 7 fuel stops, plus about 20 minutes at a church in Altus, Arkansas.

GPS at start of trip

GPS at end of trip

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
CONGRATS!!!!...WOW...great ride...I can only dream of doing that...It would have to be 2-up...SO...would want to stop more though...

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Congratulations, Helmet Dance! Don't get in a rush to get your certification, IBA has had mine since 6/12 and it hasn't gone through yet. Have you moved to the great state of Alabama?

·
Registered
19,324 Posts
A couple of comments;
1-congrats
2-if this was for an Iron Butt Bun Burner1500 I hope you got a start and finish witness. Also with error on the wings odometer a gps is more accurate. I hope you kept gas reciepts. If not you can use your gas card statement in most cases.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the congrats!!

George & Laen, To answer your question about IBA, this wasn't an IBA run, although it could have been. I'm just as happy even though I don't plan to file with them. The mileage is per Streets & Trips and my GPS, the two mileage measurements matched. I didn't even record my odometer reading, I know its about 4% high from experience.

George, I'm still an Indiana resident but working in Alabama. I'm a contractor on a "temporary" field assignment at TVA's Browns Ferry Nuclear Plant.

When I say it could have been an IBA run I mean that I did all the good IBA stuff except for the witnesses. I have my time-stamped receipts with locations. I also took photogrpahs of the GPS which I plan to post when I get a change to download the images from the camera.

Cheers!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Congratulations!!!
After my ride from Seattle to San Diego a few weeks ago, I know how hard it was to do what you did. I didn't apply for an IBA certificate, either. Just knowing you did is satisfaction enough.
Again, congratulations!

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Helmet,
Congratulations!! That's one IBA ride I have on my "to do" list. Next up though is the SS2000 that me and a couple of others are planning for the late fall.
Wanna come along? Texas for BBQ.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
trialsman said:
Helmet,
Congratulations!! That's one IBA ride I have on my "to do" list. Next up though is the SS2000 that me and a couple of others are planning for the late fall.
Wanna come along? Texas for BBQ.

Sure!! I'm game. I'm planning to go home for Thanksgiving but could plan for any other weekend. When are you going?? I'll have some fresh oil in the crankcase! :lol:

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I'm curious as to why your start point was Decatur?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dicepilot said:
I'm curious as to why your start point was Decatur?
I have an apartment here in Decatur. I work on the road so its a lot cheaper to rent an apartment than to stay in a hotel room all the time.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Congratulations!! The satisfaction you get from knowing that you did it is reward enough. You must have been in the "zone " through most of the ride. Getting off with only a warning has to make it just that much sweeter. Great job!! :lol:

·
Registered
218 Posts
:D Good going , but we need to see a picture of the bugs on your windshield before you wash the bike. The story & pictures of the trip you took out west last year was super ,I am still going through it. Good Job, and not a bug???? How did you do it ???. :wink:

Chuck

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Wow!
Congratulations and all them other big words Helmetdance.
Now be honest. You really just went out for a quart of milk, and
GOT LOST didn't you? :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Registered
393 Posts
Will you accept congratulations from a mere mortal? Jolly Good!

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Good job, no easy ride.....

Send it in anyway, never know...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts