GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems the speedometer is off 3-4 mph. Do most people on here add the yellow box to calibrate the speedo. I only have 400 miles on my bike, but I noticed it is over 3/10 every 10 miles. I haven't put on my gps yet so I don't know how far off it is.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I've thought about it... but like I think most on here, never bothered to correct it. When I don't have my GPS on, I just mentally subtract about 5MPH from the indicated speed. When I have the GPS on, I used the speed display on it.

With an error like you describe in the odometer, when the odometer shows 100,000 miles, you'll actually have only 96,667 miles on the bike. Not enough difference to matter. At 10,000 miles it'd actually have 9,666 miles on it.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Just remember the error if you plan on doing an Iron Butt ride and give yourself plenty of compensation mileso you are documented enough miles, not Honda miles. I ended up doing 1283 documented for a SS1K.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I've had the Yellow Box for several years. It works good and my speedo is correct with a GPS.

There are other units out there that also work well. When I installed the yellow box I had to bare wires and splice in (today, maybe it is "Plug & Play").

I believe the "Speedo Healer" is a plug & play unit.

http://www.speedohealer.com/

Here is the website for the Yellow Box: http://www.blackrobotics.com/

·
Registered
626 Posts
I also have the Yellow Box, I like it and it has worked with out a problem for 4 years.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Thats why you have unlimited mileage from Honda on your warranty, they think if it says your going faster that you'll be safer, because your going slower or something like that. You could do like most people and just go 5 mph over what you see.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Put a 70 series tire on the rear and your speedometer will be dead on.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,537 Posts
N79YP said:
Put a 70 series tire on the rear and your speedometer will be dead on.
I adjusted my friends speedmeter with a 70 series rear tire using a Yellow Box. It was still reading 1.5% fast with a 70 series rear tire... that's not a lot off, but with the Yellow Box, your speedometer can be dead on if you want it too.

My own bike has had a Yellow Box for the last three seasons now. With the stock size rear tire my speedometer was reading 6.5% fast and the odometer was adding miles that I didn't ride. With the Yellow Box, my speedometer now reads true speed with my GPS and my odometer reads two miles less for every one hundred miles.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I gave about $80 something bucks for my my Speedo Healer. It is plug and play. My correction was -6.4% It's dead nuts with my GPS. and off about .8mph with a new tire and then gets accurate again with tire wear.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I don't know much about the Yellow Box. I do know that the Speedo Healer (SH) was a little cheaper and plugged in under the RH pocket. A piece of velcro just in front of the RH corner of the pocket on the fairing worked fine to keep it in place. I went to SH's web site and punched in some values and printed out instructions for programming the DIP switches for -6.4% correction. SH provided a pictorial install guide. However, under the RH side pocket there is an upper wire cluster and a lower wire cluster with similar plugs and I realized that it was the lower cluster they were referring to which was not clear. I did mentioned this to (SH) and they said they would add this info to the install.
SH were very helpful and friendly. I initially established my speedo error from the local Sheriff's mobile radar trailer and found that at 60 MPH I was showing 64 MPH. This is a good speed to figure readings at as it somewhere around the average speed that we travel. If you are picky about adding extra false miles to your bike then the SH is for you. 10,000 miles would add around 640 false miles. To me on this type of bike this is unacceptable.

http://www.calsportbike.com/cgi-bin/sto ... gi?pid=800

S

·
0 Posts
I don't understand why some are so concerned over a 3 or 4 mph error. Drive 3 or 4 mph faster - problem fixed.
Seems to me a very tivial thing to spend hundreds to correct. I alway drive at least 10 miles over the limit so it simply keeps me closer to legal.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,537 Posts
It's simple storm, some of us just want a speedometer that reads the true speed :lol:

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Allen:

The ABS made no difference for me in installing the Yellow Box. I don't think it's an issue regardless of which brand you choose.

After looking at the instructions for the Speedohealer on their website (http://www.speedohealer.com/your_pics/g ... torial.htm), I'd have to say they have a reasonably easy installation (finding the connector is the hard part). Their installation instructions are virtually identical to those I followed when I installed my YB except I had to make the harness.

I've corresponded with YB creators re: having a plug & play harness but they don't apparently see the need.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I, too, have the Yellow Box. The Speed Healer looks like it may be a good choice, too.

An accurate speedo makes a difference to me because I like to ride about 7 - 10 MPH over, but not more.

To each their own.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts