GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike paint code Y-130P yellow has anyone had Sherman Williams automotive paint store mix you some paint? If so do you have a number and did it match well?

·
Registered
390 Posts
I got some touch up paint from my dealer. How much do you need?

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got some touch up paint from my dealer. How much do you need?
Probley a pint want to paint front cowl and exh pipe covers

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Colorrite.com has the same paint Honda uses. You will need their primer and both base coat and top coat. They have spray cans at $16.95 and $33.95. Kinda pricy but it matches.

·
UBposting IBchatting
1,018 Posts
We still have a couple of pieces of yellow trim from the BigYellowBike, Lowell...you can have them if they're what you need.

You might also try a short strip of gray 100-mile-an-hour tape, if you can't get your paint!

:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Get some Caterpillar yellow paint and paint the whole bike.

THEN it will be sharp! :lol:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
You might also try a short strip of gray 100-mile-an-hour tape, if you can't get your paint!

Don't they make this in different colors now?:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Get a couple of extra cans and paint the 650 yellow.

You can tell everyone it's a baby goldwing,LOL:lol:

·
Registered
610 Posts
Donnie Mardis / or his painter matched the yellow on the trailer perfectly, not sure where he acquired it from.
They also matched the purple to my pinstripes without a color code.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Get some Caterpillar yellow paint and paint the whole bike.

THEN it will be sharp! :lol:
My Father worked for a Cat dealer here in Lincoln, Ne for 30 yrs everything he fabricated at home was Cat YELLOW :shrug::eek:4:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Most automotive paint stores will not mix m/c paint. Best of luck if you can find one that does.
I paint bodies for a trike shop and have my paint mixed by two different jobbers. I just painted Y-130P yellow and used PPG DBC. I also use Glasurit(BASF) when needed. Some of these are available in waterborne but can be crossed over. If you need a color matched, a Glasurit jobber will send a panel to the color lab and have it matched, and then fax the formula to them. They do it all the time. The paint I've gotten from the jobber matched so I have not needed to do this yet. My PPG jobber also matches paint not readily available in the system.Unlike cars, bike paint formulas are not well documented in the industry. I do not use Colorite. I tried Colorite once and the color was way off. By way off I mean not usable, not even blendable. Not that blending is much of an option with bikes like it is with cars. They refunded my money but I had to eat shipping both ways. Not a good introduction to a shop who paints bikes. Variances in paint color are naturally expected. Exact matching sight unseen is not possible, worse in tri-stages. That's why I get all me paint locally and tint if needed. Have fun.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I paint bodies for a trike shop and have my paint mixed by two different jobbers. I just painted Y-130P yellow and used PPG DBC. I also use Glasurit(BASF) when needed. Some of these are available in waterborne but can be crossed over. If you need a color matched, a Glasurit jobber will send a panel to the color lab and have it matched, and then fax the formula to them. They do it all the time. The paint I've gotten from the jobber matched so I have not needed to do this yet. My PPG jobber also matches paint not readily available in the system.Unlike cars, bike paint formulas are not well documented in the industry. I do not use Colorite. I tried Colorite once and the color was way off. By way off I mean not usable, not even blendable. Not that blending is much of an option with bikes like it is with cars. They refunded my money but I had to eat shipping both ways. Not a good introduction to a shop who paints bikes. Variances in paint color are naturally expected. Exact matching sight unseen is not possible, worse in tri-stages. That's why I get all me paint locally and tint if needed. Have fun.
Notice this is your first post on the forum, Scott B. Welcome and thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
My bike paint code Y-130P yellow has anyone had Sherman Williams automotive paint store mix you some paint? If so do you have a number and did it match well?
Most automotive paint stores will not mix m/c paint. Best of luck if you can find one that does.
Wimpy, I can't help you with "Sherman Williams automotive paint," sorry, but I did take my paint code to the nearest PPG automotive paint store and they matched my paint perfectly...

·
Registered
5,791 Posts

:thumbup: Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenB

Don't they make this in different colors now?:thumbup:
Yep, my yellow 100mph tape laste for a couple thousand miles till the bike got fixed after the wreck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts