GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boy, I must really be spoiled ! I took a 6 hour trip in my 95' Ford yellow Ranger Splash. And the whole time I kept thinking where the hell is the power, If I had my wing this would be so much easier. I missed the 'spunk' of the wing the manuverability and the fun. At 80 it seemed like it was loosing power=not a problem with the wing, just twist and its there.
Now the question
I noticed the gage for the water was dropping till the end of the trip. My guess is the thermostat. And earlier noticed that the truck wasn't heating up like it used to. So all you mechanics out there what do you think? Is it my thermostat and is it a big deal if I wanted to do it myself?

Thanks for any help. Joy

·
Chard Member
13,061 Posts
It could be a thermostat hanging open or just low on coolant. Some thermostats can be a bear to change. Some are simple. You will usually find it on the engine side of the upper radiator hose.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
yep, the t-stat needs replacing. Hardest job is taking all the stuff off to uncover the housing...then a piece of cake :D

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have a spash too. It a great mid size truck. It not a wing though.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I got an estimate for like 150$ I thought was high. I will get the thermostat replaced. It is 9 years old and never needed anything(even the origingal battery) I'll look into taking all the parts off. Kinda like taking the tupperware off of the Wing , Huh. Joy

·
Registered
90 Posts
Joy, I work part time in an auto parts store. The thermostat should cost you about $5.00 and gasket about $1. Changing it is not difficult at all. If you can work on the Wing, you can change a thermostat. Good Luck. SLIDE

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Joy,

Bring it on up here to Woodbourne and I will only charge you $145 plus parts....LOL

Good Luck my dear!

Bulldog

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Dawg, but I like Slides answer much better!!!!!!n Joy :twisted:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts