GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from an eight day trip on the FJR with a friend of mine also on an FJR. We ran the "Dragon" four times (twice each direction). Our trip from Houston and back was a total of 2850 miles. As others have said, there are many great roads in the area. We stayed in Dahlonega GA two days, and Robbinsville, NC two days. Every day we rode virutally from sun up to sun down.

Rick - I think we passed you twice, once I think you were heading toward the Dragon from the south (Wednesday late afternoon). Then on Thursday late morning I saw what appeared to be you and an Orange Goldwing just heading up the hill from the north end (just past the river). Neither time were we in a position to come back and look for you. I really did want to meet you.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
well the truth is i went to vermont at the last min.,drove a big rig with my brother in law.

wish i could have been there also but........

always next year,lol

·
Registered
624 Posts
I wish I had a brother-in-law. Life is shorter than you might think. :D

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yellow wolf said:
well the truth is i went to vermont at the last min.,drove a big rig with my brother in law.

wish i could have been there also but........

always next year,lol
I guess there is another guy with a Yellow Goldwing and yellow helmet running the area (at least last week).

We loved the ride, but not sure when we will go back. We are already talking about "next year", but it's doubtful we'll go back to the same place so soon.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are a couple of pics I posted on another thread...

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
hey man your a real person with a face and all!!! lol

arent you scared to post pics? someone mite figure out you a nice fella then where would you be.

ill try to hook up with you,maybe a fjr meet or something next year!

G

·
0 Posts
Your FJR is a sweet looking bike, I am going to have to check one out.
I want to get back on a sport tourer.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yellow wolf said:
hey man your a real person with a face and all!!! lol

arent you scared to post pics? someone mite figure out you a nice fella then where would you be.

ill try to hook up with you,maybe a fjr meet or something next year!
Yeah, I guess I'll have to clean up my act now! :shock:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hey jj,

I’m on the FJR forum too. Just curious about a couple of things. Is your FJR seat stock? If so, and you made that whole trip on it, I gotta say WOW :!: . Meant as a compliment. No disrespect to your bike intended. For me, the stocker just wasn’t designed with long distance comfort in mind.
Also, was wondering if ya had posted any pics on the FJR forum? Ran a search and didn’t see where you had posted any in the last month.

shokdimn :biker:

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
shokdimn said:
Hey jj,

I’m on the FJR forum too. Just curious about a couple of things. Is your FJR seat stock? If so, and you made that whole trip on it, I gotta say WOW :!: . Meant as a compliment. No disrespect to your bike intended. For me, the stocker just wasn’t designed with long distance comfort in mind.
Also, was wondering if ya had posted any pics on the FJR forum? Ran a search and didn’t see where you had posted any in the last month.

I certainly had concerns about the seat, but I have done a number of 300 - 350 miles on it, and one 525 when I picked the bike up and rode it home from Alabama. So I decided not to mess with it.

On this trip, we did 620 miles the first day, and coming home we did two days at 535 and 510 miles. Honestly, even the days in between we were probably riding as many hours, just not as many miles. I occassionally got a burning butt, but it was not bad, and not persistent. I had a ST1300 before this, and it was more uncomfortable at 200 miles than this is at 600 miles.

Overall, I am incredibly impressed with FJR. It does both long distance hauls, and is quite competent on the back roads as well.

As to the FJR forum, I was very unhappy with how the owner of the forum handled one of my threads (both on the thread, and in a PM to me) and I have decided that I won't contribute to that particular forum any longer. I won't make an issue of it over there, but I believe in not supporting owners of businesses who I don't respect. On the other hand, this is the most well run forum I've ever been on (and I'm a forum junkie).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Copy last and understood.

Sounds like you’re a conditioned rider. There are three of us here in middle TN with 06’s that ride together. The other two guys are able to handle the high mileage days too. They really didn’t complain about their stockers. However, both of them decided to get a Corbin. Myself, I’m strictly a recreational :sun1: rider. No high mileage days for me. Still, I bought myself a second seat and sculpted it to suit myself.

Did ya’ll get a chance to ride Hwy 30 between Spencer and Pikeville, or any part of Hwy 116 or 52?

In any event, glad ya’ll had a safe trip. Give me a holler if ya pass thru this way.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Good to see you and Barry made it back, good on ya! I talked to my bride about a ZX-14, she wasn't entirely thrilled but she didn't kick me to the curb, yet! May be then I wouldn't have to watch that FJR from the tail pipe view :)

Actually, my son is a high school senior next year and I have just about convinced myself to do a trip with him to California (where he was born), but, he needs a bike. I know the Connie is probably too much for him now, but we would take it easy, I would ride with him the whole time.

Anyway, looking forward to getting out again, let me know when the saddle sores have healed.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jafi_fink said:
Good to see you and Barry made it back, good on ya! I talked to my bride about a ZX-14, she wasn't entirely thrilled but she didn't kick me to the curb, yet! May be then I wouldn't have to watch that FJR from the tail pipe view :)

Actually, my son is a high school senior next year and I have just about convinced myself to do a trip with him to California (where he was born), but, he needs a bike. I know the Connie is probably too much for him now, but we would take it easy, I would ride with him the whole time.

Anyway, looking forward to getting out again, let me know when the saddle sores have healed.
I would have had the Goldwing out yesterday if it hadn't rained!!!

This weekend I probably won't ride because my parents are in town. Hopefully we can get together the next.

Thanks J!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts