GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd start a new thread for this, so that it wouldn't get lost with the congratulations already being offered.

Here is an email sent out to IBA members regarding the ride. While not "official" the recognition is there.

Deals Gap - 1,000 miles, 33,708 corners in 24 hours!

Although we want to stress, due to the fact that this ride **requires** a pace above the posted speed limits for the entire time (unlike the NYC-1000 and DC-1000 routing that allowed an average near 50 mph) and as such, we will not offer it as an IBA ride, it is newsworthy for the long distance world. On that note...

Rick Pepin has completed 106 laps (a little over 1,000 miles) riding, of all things, a Honda Gold Wing (GL1800) on a very winding road the locals call "The Tail of the Dragon".

This ride was completley documented to the highest standards and there is no doubt he did it!

Wow!

Mike

If you do not wish to receive periodic email updates regarding Ironbutt announcements, please login to your IBA eStore account to change your email preferences

·
Registered
824 Posts
I thought that IBA would have to recognize the accomplishment somehow. I think that Michael did the right thing with this.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I disagree. By recognizing and praising illegal riding, the IBA only reinforces the commonly held belief by many non-IBA motorcyclists that Iron Butt riders are a bunch of suicide jockeys who get their kicks by racing around on public highways. If the IBA is truly dedicated to "safe long distance riding", as they claim to be, they will have nothing to do with such a blatantly illegal ride.

Gizmo

IBA member #8672

Veteran of 9 certified IBA rides....Including a BBG, SS3k, SS5k(pending) and 48/10 with no speeding tickets!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Ah come on...everyone rides "illegally" sometimes! The Goldwing just makes us do that. It wants to go fast so we go fast sometimes. No big deal. This is a go fast world, look at all the cages going by you.....they're probably going fast....speeding. You can speed a little and still be safe about it. It's not so black and white as many folks seem to think it is.....IMO.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Deals Gap - 1,000 miles, 33,708 corners in 24 hours!
After all those curves, I bet he wobbles when he walks now...

Gratz YW .. 8)

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,709 Posts
Congrats, Rick.

Thanks for the nice message, Mr. Kneebone. Very appropriate, IMHO.

Bob E.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Gizmo said:
I disagree. By recognizing and praising illegal riding, the IBA only reinforces the commonly held belief by many non-IBA motorcyclists that Iron Butt riders are a bunch of suicide jockeys who get their kicks by racing around on public highways. If the IBA is truly dedicated to "safe long distance riding", as they claim to be, they will have nothing to do with such a blatantly illegal ride.

Gizmo

IBA member #8672

Veteran of 9 certified IBA rides....Including a BBG, SS3k, SS5k(pending) and 48/10 with no speeding tickets!
I was wondering about that also. I guess it could be ok if IBA reinbursed for any tickets obtained during the ride, they can't do anything about the points taken though.

Mike

·
Registered
203 Posts
Geez Gizmo, lighten up a bit. If you read the IBA's announcement closely, they do not condone Rick's ride, but rather, they are noting it as an accomplishment in long distance riding. Big difference.

By your posting I can safely assume that you have never broken the speed limit or crossed the street while not in a cross walk. C'mon, let the feat stand as the accomplishment it is and let Rick have his 15 minutes of fame.

·
Registered
95 Posts
assuming by "illegal riding" we mean riding beyond a posted speed limit, there's a dramatic difference between illegal riding and riding unsafely. just because someone rides 5+ of the posted speed limit does not necessarily mean he was riding unsafely given the current conditions of the road, weather, his/her mental state, etc. it's just not that cut and dry.

i fully understand why the iba cannot and will not certify the ride and applaud them for that.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
steve s said:
Ah come on...everyone rides "illegally" sometimes! The Goldwing just makes us do that. It wants to go fast so we go fast sometimes. No big deal. This is a go fast world, look at all the cages going by you.....they're probably going fast....speeding. You can speed a little and still be safe about it. It's not so black and white as many folks seem to think it is.....IMO.

I could care less if someone wants to ride illegally as long as they don't affect me. I believe that repetitively and illegally riding the same short, dangerous piece of road over and over until 1000 miles is reached, IS a noteworthy accomplishment but not necessarily a positive accomplishment from an IBA perspective. IMO, that "great" ride still falls short of meeting IBA standards and it should not be legitimized by the IBA in any way.

If I rode down the highway for forty miles and then legally continued back and forth until 1000 miles was reached, would the IBA recognize that feat? Surely not. But, if I illegally ride a twisty, dangerous road with a low speed limit , they'd be willing to praise that. Something's not right with that, IMO.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Yellow Wolf :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :beer3: :yes: :yes: :biker: :yes: :bow: :bow: :1st: :clap2:

G

·
jasonJonas said:
assuming by "illegal riding" we mean riding beyond a posted speed limit, there's a dramatic difference between illegal riding and riding unsafely. just because someone rides 5+ of the posted speed limit does not necessarily mean he was riding unsafely given the current conditions of the road, weather, his/her mental state, etc. it's just not that cut and dry.

i fully understand why the iba cannot and will not certify the ride and applaud them for that.
Just to add to this discussion 1,000 miles divided by 23 hours (deducted 1 hour 4 stop time) and you have 43.5 MPH.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Rick that is absolutely an awesome accomplishment and dont let anyone tell you any different!

Gizmo , sell your bike, and your car, and walk the straight and narrow, and have a very exciting life! Dont look at other women if you are married, dont drink an occassional adult beverage, dont smoke, dont ride any roller coasters, dont seek any thrills in your life, but have an exciting life. Dont do anything that may raise your pulse, but have an exciting life. Dont ride a horse, dont jaywalk, dont go through that yellow light at the intersection, dont eat bacon, dont eat pizza, dont eat ice cream, but have an exciting life. You only show your contempt for anything that may border on the edge of impropriety, and yet you are using fossil fuels and polluting the atmosphere and destroying the ozone for your pleasure everytime you ride your Wing, yet no one gets down on you.....take a chill pill and lighten up, it must be uncomfortable going through life with your panties all up in a wad!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hal @ Honda Direct Line said:
Just to add to this discussion 1,000 miles divided by 23 hours (deducted 1 hour 4 stop time) and you have 43.5 MPH.
yep. and while i'm not sure what kind of setup rick has, there are a lot of ld riders that eat, drink and otherwise while on the bike. add in a fuel cell and 350 mile range with 5-minute splash and dash fuel stops and the average gets even closer to the theoretical 41.6 24hr average.

i rode the tail once and cannot remember what the speed limit is. it may have even changed since 03.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
CONGRATS RICK :!: :1st:

My only question...

Did you video the ENTIRE ride :?: :?: :wink:

Gizmo

Is there an address I can use to send you the following T-shirt?

I think you would wear it well....

:lol:

1 - 20 of 123 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.