GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to do some advance planning for next summer. After Wing Ding in Billings, I'm wanting to tour the Yellowstone area. Can anyone recommend good accommodations in Cody, West Yellowstone and Jackson? Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
426 Posts
I would suggest staying in Tetons rathar than Jackson.Much closer to Yellowstone and beautiful.jackson is toursity and expensive.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Lots of motels in all the areas from Best Western on down, but RESERVE EARLY, just as you should at Wing Ding. The 4th of July week is the BIG week in that area any year, and Wing Ding will make it even busier. Don from Idaho

·
Registered
573 Posts
We've taken our RV to West Yellowstone a couple of times and really like that little town. Plenty of Hotels, shops, campgrounds and restraunts. Its right at the West enterance to the park.

We've only had our Wing for 3 weeks and we are already planning a trip to Yellowstone on the Wing. Absolutely beautiful driving/riding through the park. I'm getting jazzed just thinking about it.

Anyways, no matter where you stay, you'll love it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yellowstone 2007

Stayed at the Stagecoach Inn, at West Yellowstone. Nice place, right in town. Be sure to stop for a swim at the swimming hole in fire hole canyon, in the park. Great spot. G/F and I can't wait to do it again.

Dog

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I rode through Yellowstone and the Tetons in August on the cross country trip I made on my VTX 1300. I traveled from Bozemen, MT all the way to Dubois, WY on the day I went through the park. As a result I did not have enough time to enjoy many of the sights to see. :(

One thing I regret not having done a better job of was planning to spend a night or two somewhere in the park. There is quite a bit of distance between stopping points and if you want to do a thorough job of sightseeing, you a couple of days IMHO! Regrettably I did not take in as many things as I would have liked, including staying around for Old Faithful to do her thing, because I felt pressed to make it through the park and out the other side for fear I would not be able to find lodging (did not make any reservations for my trip).

That was a foolish mistake that I will hopefully not make again. Guess that gives me another reason to consider doing it again in the next year of so, especially now that I have sold my "X" and bought a Wing.

Todd

·
Registered
108 Posts
Island Park Idaho is just a few miles south of West Yellowstone and has lots of motels etc. wnter and summer. Also, Driggs, Tetonia and Victor Idaho on the WEST side of the Tetons are much cheaper than in the Yellowstone - Jackson area and are quite scenic in themseoves. Try 'em, you might like them. Don

·
Registered
108 Posts
Forgot - Driggs is just a few miles from the Targhee ski area - one of the best undiscovered ski areas. It's in Wyoming, but access is only thru Idaho. FANTASTIC POWDER!

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
If you want pretty, stay at the Alpine Lodge in Cooke City, just outside the northeast gate. This little town is what I would dreamed a gold rush town would be 100 years ago. The lodge is very nice and clean with a young couple owning, really looked after the guests. Parking lot is gravel so be careful. Several good restaurants within walking distance.

AVOID the east gate to Yellowstone because is under construction with some seven miles of gravel road. You pray it does not rain when you ride this mess. I was there in the middle of July and made the mistate, rode it once. Never again, until it's completed.

Be sure to ride the BearTooth Highway (Hwy 212) from Cooke City to Red Lodge, Montana. Breathtaking is an understatement...

Enjoy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts