GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Historic flooding has closed Yellowstone...

Human body Plant Organism Terrestrial plant Font

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yes, there are three of us staying 100 miles north of Yellowstone. We rode from Michigan and had resv. for today through Friday. Well change of plans we are headed to the Big horn mountains for a day or two then on to the Black Hills. We are not real disappointed as all three of us were there two years ago. The weather looks great for the Black hills and we will spend more time there before heading home.

·
Administrator
4,855 Posts
WOW! I wonder how long travel will be disrupted?

·
Registered
9,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
  • Sad
Reactions: GLblinded

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Crazy ….. What a mess. I rode those roads last summer. Stayed in Gardiner one night. I guess Gardiner is totally isolated with no roads in or out. Water and power are out. Not a good situation.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
We were heading out to Yellowstone for 2-weeks over the 4th of July period.....
Not any more......reservations canceled, bummer.

Is there anything that is "normal" in this world any longer.....geez.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
We were heading out to Yellowstone for 2-weeks over the 4th of July period.....
Not any more......reservations canceled, bummer.
How many days were you planning to actually be in YNP? There is plenty of great riding in the area that doesn't include YNP. Unfortunately, the Beartooth is also closed and possibly will be closed until next year, or until the roads in Red Lodge are repaired.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
How many days were you planning to actually be in YNP? There is plenty of great riding in the area that doesn't include YNP. Unfortunately, the Beartooth is also closed and possibly will be closed until next year, or until the roads in Red Lodge are repaired.
Planning on 5-days in the immediate Yellowstone area riding and seeing the sights.......we've been out there many times and without Yellowstone open it's not worth it to us......we hit Cody Wy over the 4th as their celebration is pretty cool, old West style.
We are planning on going next year.......have several shorter MC trips planned instead.

We have setup plans in the Fall for a 2-week road trip (non-mc) on the East coast with friends and family caravan style.
If anything, the last few years has made us pretty adaptive to changing things on the spur of the moment.....it's the only way to deal with the world as we know it nowadays.

·
Registered
9,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Road conditions / status...

Reactions: Justa_Poser

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
We were in Cody Wyoming in 2020 - right after Labor Day weekend - and got stuck for a couple of days because they had an "unusual snow event" Temps dropped to 17 degrees and 18 inches of snow. The weather in that part of the country is sometimes "unusual"

This was the weather forecast that we woke up to !

Font Number Document Event

It's a very beautiful place. VERY beautiful when all covered in snow.
I hope they get the roads fixed soon, as we were planning to make a trip out in August.

·
Registered
2008 Dark Red
353 Posts
Hadn't heard anything about Beartooth, what's going on there?

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Hadn't heard anything about Beartooth, what's going on there?
Red Lodge at the north end is flooded with several bridges gone and some roadway taken by the water. Vid links are on the last few pages of the Cody-Cade thread. If you check the 511 MT link in post 11 of this thread, you can drill down and see several spots along the road that show closures due to flood.

Reactions: meshego1

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Good area to stay out of to allow them to get in and fix things as soon as able......
Not easy to get big equipment in those areas and a limited season to do so.

Mother Nature rules no matter how mighty man thinks he is...

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Good area to stay out of to allow them to get in and fix things as soon as able......
Not easy to get big equipment in those areas and a limited season to do so.

Mother Nature rules no matter how mighty man thinks he is...
+1 on this. Leave the RV slots and accommodations available for the construction crews that will need them to make the repairs. The gateway towns will be overtaken by construction workers very soon.

·
Premium Member
2003 GL1800
2,622 Posts
WOW! I wonder how long travel will be disrupted?
It will be weeks at a minimum. Leslie and I ride up there a lot as we're only about 95 miles from the West Gate. Right now, there's flooding through Island Park and around West Yellowstone, so just getting there is tough. With Red Lodge flooded and Gardner cut off, the Northern half of the Park will probably remain closed for most of the season. Further South, Norris to the Old Faithful area will take some time to clear the debris from the roadway since the river runs alongside and pretty level with the road surface. If I had to bet, I'd say you won't see much open before the middle to late July.

• Wow
Reactions: Glockjock
1 - 20 of 27 Posts