GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I will be taking a trip through Yellowstone / Grand Teton in a couple of weeks. We'll be about 800 miles from the parks and we only have 5 days / 4 nights to spend. As such, we're planning 2 days there, 2 days back and one day in the parks.

Our current plan for the day in the park is to spend the night before in Jackson, Wy (we'll arrive in Jackson pretty early so we can see a bit of Jackson and Grand Teton on the arrival day) When we leave Jackson, we plan to head up to Yellowstone, take the Grand Loop around it, and then exit out the east side of the park and work our way down to Thermopolis, Wy for the night.

We're doing this primarily because there aren't any open accomodations that I can find in the Park.

My questions are this:
1.) Is Jackson to Yellowstone, doing the Grand Loop and then going to Thermopolis too much to do in one day? (it's 314 miles so the mileage isn't excessive...but I don't know what speed we should expect to go on the Grand Loop in Yellowstone)
2.) Is the Grand Loop through Yellowstone a good ride or not worth it?
3.) If the Grand Loop isn't that spectacular, what might be a better option or things we wouldn't want to miss while we are there?

By the way, we are starting and ending the trip in Southern Colorado (specifically Creede) so northernly routes / options will add significant additional miles.

TIA
Dave

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
You have a good route. The
loop is worth it but you will average 35-40 mph and you should make a few stops. I like the exit through Cooke City via Chief Joseph Highway. I like to stay in Cody. Best Western is nice.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
The Yellowstone Loop is a nice ride, but keep in mind that when some tourists see any kind of wildlife out in the fields, yes, squirrels too, they'll stop, even in the middle of the road blocking traffic.

Too bad you'll be missing out on riding US-212. It is my opinion that this route is the best motorcycle road in the US.

While in Yellowstone, stop by and see Old Faithful and the amazingly built Old Faithful Inn.

I think that it's a bit optimistic to be able to do the whole loop in one day.

Good luck and have fun exploring.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
We just got back from there last Sunday. Jackson is a great place to stay. Check out the Lexington. It was just over $100.00 but was very nice and very convenient. We did the loop and Old Faithful and did a bunch of other stops and stayed in Cody at the Kings Inn. About $96.00 and very nice also. There is a Bubba's BBQ next to it that has good food. While in Cody be sure to see the Buffalo Bill Center For The West. It is fantastic. 7 1/2 acres under roof.

We did Chief Joseph's Hwy and Beartooth Pass. Both are great rides.

We have a place in Pagosa Springs, so I know Creed is a neat town.

Have a great ride.

·
Registered
545 Posts
we stayed in Togwotee mountain lodge. Really nice snowmobile camp ground really cool spot.

www.togwoteelodge.com

Its east of the south entrance of the Grand Tetons

·
Registered
778 Posts
Yellowstone ride

I would highly recommend more time in Yellowstone to really enjoy all it has to offer. Try spending the night in West Yellowstone out the west gate. There are a number of places to stay there, call in advance. Cody is a great place to spend the night after leaving Yellowstone. See the Buffalo Bill display while in Cody.

·
Registered
488 Posts
You have a good route. The
loop is worth it but you will average 35-40 mph and you should make a few stops. I like the exit through Cooke City via Chief Joseph Highway. I like to stay in Cody. Best Western is nice.
I agree. I Came the opposite direction about 2 years ago and can't wait to make a return trip from the Mobile Alabama area up to South Dakota, across the Bad Lands. Hit Devils Tower then across the Big Horn mountain range (get gas before leaving) and then stayed just outside of Cody. I was camping so I can't recommend any hotels but the scenery is breath taking.

I then went up the Chief Joseph Hwy and entered in through Cooke City. (very expensive tourist area but worth the drive) I spent about a day and a half in Yellowstone. and just barely hit the highlights for me. I am a nature lover/photo buff so many stops for photos and walks. I spent another night just north of the Tetons so I could catch them early in the morning. The fog had rolled in so I did not see as much as I would have liked but what I saw was amazing.

I highly recommend the trip down Chief Joseph Hwy. It was also foggy for me but without a doubt one of the best parts of the trip. About a 5,000+ trip in total...... Best trip of my life.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
I agree. I Came the opposite direction about 2 years ago and can't wait to make a return trip from the Mobile Alabama area up to South Dakota, across the Bad Lands. Hit Devils Tower then across the Big Horn mountain range (get gas before leaving) and then stayed just outside of Cody. I was camping so I can't recommend any hotels but the scenery is breath taking.

I then went up the Chief Joseph Hwy and entered in through Cooke City. (very expensive tourist area but worth the drive) I spent about a day and a half in Yellowstone. and just barely hit the highlights for me. I am a nature lover/photo buff so many stops for photos and walks. I spent another night just north of the Tetons so I could catch them early in the morning. The fog had rolled in so I did not see as much as I would have liked but what I saw was amazing.

I highly recommend the trip down Chief Joseph Hwy. It was also foggy for me but without a doubt one of the best parts of the trip. About a 5,000+ trip in total...... Best trip of my life.
? Thanks tony
Any one have a basic map of this route

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've been to yellowstone 10 time now and you will need 10 to 12 hrs to ride the loop if you stop to see old faithful, and all the sites. Because you will be in Jackson I would ride the Grand Teton's then into Yellowstone south entrance then stay west, old faithful is not that far this will take you to the west entrance. If you go east towards Cody there are a few good sites Beartooth pass ect , but as others have stated it can take 2 hrs just to go 30 miles. First time there we came in the west entrance on the way back from Glacier natl park the sign said 118 miles to our campsite in the Teton's it took 9 hrs to get there.Every darn auto stopped for anything . Flys , Byson , Prairiedogs , ect... No one is in a rush so dont limit your time it is worth the trip just plan on a 2nd one . PS I like the ride around the Grand Teton more than Yellowstone, but if you stop to see thing Yellowstone hands down.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for the good information and replies.

Sounds like Cody and Beartooth pass (Hwy 212) are things we need to work into the trip. We're staying in Jackson for one night, it's our anniversary so I picked one of the nicer resorts and we'll be spending most of the day there hanging out and seeing Grand Teton.

I'm mixed on the grand loop road. I'd like to see it but if it takes 2 hours go go 30 miles, we'll be turning around and skipping it. We're not much for stopping at every stop. I don't really like getting on and off the bike a lot. We'll stop a few times for a few things but for us, the ride is the destination so we'll see most things from the bike itself. (we'll at least stop at old faithful though and spend some time there...my wife wants to see it...I saw it years ago but she'd never seen it)

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Beartooth pass?

So what is the best part of Beartooth pass?

We'll be waking up in Jackson and have reservations in Thermopolis the next night so we need to go that far. (I knew I shouldn't have made reservations in advance...I much prefer making them daily but my wife likes a plan so I don't just keep riding. :) )

Anyway...if we do Jackson to Old Faithful and all of Beartooth and then back down to Thermopolis it is about 400 miles.

Looks like this... http://goo.gl/maps/fN3fd

400 miles isn't too many miles for us at all as we've done 500+ together and she was fine. However, if those 400 miles are averaging 30 miles per hour or something, then we're talking 13 hours of riding time...and that would be a bit much.

I can take 396 South off of Beartooth highway down to 120 and save 50 miles but I'm worried I'm cutting off some of the best part of Beartooth.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is a perfect example of why myself and others have trailered their bikes. It also takes me 2 full days to bike 800miles. But when I trailer the bike I can cover 700miles the first day and be unloaded and on the road before noon the next. You might consider it in order to enjoy Yellowstone a lot more. I suspect your going to be pushed to make your time if tourists and/or buffalo on the road slow you down.
I agree a good mix of trailer and riding makes sense. If it's just me, I won't trailer, but for the both of us, trailering through the boring stuff makes sense. To that end, we are trailering from Dallas to Creede so that will save us 2200 miles of which most is pretty boring so you don't miss much by not riding.

However, once we get to Creede and specifically this route we are taking to Yellowstone, we are staying off interstates and almost all of this ride will be beautiful mountain country. I know we could trailer and save time but honestly, my wife is a trooper and if the goal was to just save time and get there. She's capable of an 800 mile day on the bike and physically she'd be fine, but I can't say she'd actually enjoy it.

400 is a number we're good with on riding where we have enough time to stop every couple hours for 30-60 minutes and the actual time riding is usually less than 8 hrs total (50 MPH avg) so you leave at 7AM and can be back in a hotel by 7PM at the latest without having to rush much at all as you have 4 hours in there for stopping, eating, resting, whatever.

Pushing that number to 450 or 500 can be done....but we find ourselves less relaxed and more worred about "getting there" than enjoying the day.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Grand Teton and Yellowstone

First, you will love it. It's a fantastic place to ride.
But you will not "see" much with only one day.

My friend and I have been there 6 times, staying a minimum of 4 days at West Yellowstone, Cody, and/or Jackson and we have yet to visit all the attractions.

The ride through will entice you to return. Do visit Old Faithful - watch it go from a couple hundred people to thousands back to a couple hundred as the gyser spits. Really amazing.

I agree, watch out for idiots that will suddenly pull off the road and back on or just stop in the middle of the road for any animal they see. Also watch for gawkers that will drive right off the road (or directly at you) as they gawk at any animal in view.

We are doing a 2500 mile loop this year and only plan to ride through Yellowstone. It really is amazing.
...gene

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I can take 396 South off of Beartooth highway down to 120 and save 50 miles but I'm worried I'm cutting off some of the best part of Beartooth.

Thoughts?[/QUOTE

IMO, yes you will be missing some of the best parts of Beartooth. BTW, it's 296, whatever you do, enjoy the ride!!

·
Registered
5,940 Posts

Thoughts?[/QUOTE

IMO, yes you will be missing some of the best parts of Beartooth. BTW, it's 296, whatever you do, enjoy the ride!!

+1

1 - 20 of 38 Posts