GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am planning a trip to Yellowstone from L.A. just after memorial day. I got the route to Yellowstone set. But the return route is open. I figure I would go out the west gate of Y/S then proceed in a southwesterly direction through Idaho to Nevada. Don't know much about these two states. You guys got any route suggestions? Scenic roads, good campgrounds, etc.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I can get you started. After exiting through West Yellowstone, head towards Idaho Falls (that's where you cross the freeway, I-15) but keep heading west through Arco, Carey, Sun Valley. That'll take you through the Craters of the Moon National Park (lava flows, etc.) After Sun Valley go through the Sawtooth Recreational Area over Galena pass, and through the Sawtooth valley to Stanley (take a break at Redfish Lake, it's gorgeous!) This is River of No Return country, and it's beautiful.
Then head over Beaver summit, through Lowman, Idaho City, and Boise). Lots of curves, hairpins, but the roads pretty good. If it's early in the year watch for sand (they sand the curves when it's icy, and it takes awhile to clear it!).
From Boise you can either head west through the Blues to the Columbia River Gorge and down the Oregon coast, or Southwest through desert, ghost towns (Silver City, etc.), and Nevada!
Brings a smile to my face just thinking about it!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts