GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 Audio. I would like to mount a portable GPS to the left handlebar and have the audio available through the auxilliary connection in the left fairing pocket. I have installed a power outlet in the pocket, so I should be able to have power with no problem. I'm asking about recommendations for a GPS with a connection for external audio so I can run it through the GL1800 AUX audio connector and use our headsets to hear the GPS.

We have a Garmin 255W for use in the car or truck and it works fine, but it has no connection for external sound.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
2007 Audio. I would like to mount a portable GPS to the left handlebar and have the audio available through the auxilliary connection in the left fairing pocket. I have installed a power outlet in the pocket, so I should be able to have power with no problem. I'm asking about recommendations for a GPS with a connection for external audio so I can run it through the GL1800 AUX audio connector and use our headsets to hear the GPS.

We have a Garmin 255W for use in the car or truck and it works fine, but it has no connection for external sound.

Here are 4 that will hook to the AUX:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare...420&compareProduct=37421&compareProduct=13479

:thumbup:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Grampawinger

Those were a big help. I'm hoping to not have to make a $ withdrawal from my IRA to get this done.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Barnstormer37,

The Nuvi 295W is tiny but it has a 2.5mm audo out port, accepts at least 500 waypoint, 10 routes and will accept routes to and from the computer. I paid $120 from MegaGPS.

You may need a BOOSTEROO amp as the output is very weak. Also, be aware that Garmin GPS typically use a "push-pull" audio amplifier. That's "geekspeak" for an amplifier design that does not have a "ground" and "hot" legs on the output; rather the output is "floating".

To connect to the AUX on the Wing, you will probably need a "ground loop isolator between the GPS and AUX plug to eliminate hum in the sound. Also note that the AUX plug is 3.5mm stereo so you'll need a 2.5mm stereo plug to 3.5mm stereo jack adapter cable

The screen is tiny and you'll probably need a sunshade as the screen tends to "wash out" in the sunlight.

Finally, like most of the Nuvis, this one is not waterproof so you'll need a baggie when it rains.

Bottom line
If you live with these shortcomings, this cellphone-sized GPS will do the job -- not break the bank...!

Good luck with whatever you choose...

·
Registered
501 Posts
I use a Garmin 765t, direct plug from the AUX IN to the stereo out, that gives you MP3 player out and navigation audio, if you want it. Costs less than $150 on Ebay.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Found one, what a deal!

Local Fry's electronics store. I figure I can't go wrong. Their price was $120, had an opened box resale one for $85 so I bought it. I have only tested it in the garage so far, seems to do everything that I want it to.

http://www.maylonggroup.com/ML-500_PND.htm

I also got an extension cord for the audio out jack, hooked it up into the auxilliary sound on the Wing and it sounds great through the speakers. I had never heard of them, but it is a very nice unit. I have yet to figure out how to get map downloads, etc. and I'm working on making a mount for it, but I think it will all work out.

Will post pics when it's done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts