GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just measured the fork sag, over 3 inches, Progressive Monotubes, Traxxion triple tree, new seals and bushings on the way.
A fellow member (20 20 vision)is doing the same upgrade, he’s close by will be tag teaming,
A ride last Saturday was deciding factor, it was paved road by more suited for A bike with good suspension, like my old Vstrom or GS. Beat the **** out of me and horrible through the twisties. Felt like my Dads old 68 Buick Electra, we called it Das Boot.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Best of luck with the new suspension.

Be sure to disable the Anti Dive after putting on the Progressive Monotubes.

We have a similar setup but instead of a new Triple tree we went with a fork brace but glad we upgraded.

BTW, used to be stationed at a base near Roseville called Mather AFB. Nice riding up there in the Sierras.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Was that "sag" just the bike's weight...or the bike plus a rider...or after a good hard ride over rough terrain?

Or what?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was that "sag" just the bike's weight...or the bike plus a rider...or after a good hard ride over rough terrain?

Or what?
That was me sitting on the bike, I check it in my garage.

·
Registered
678 Posts
That was me sitting on the bike, I check it in my garage.
Hmmm. How to be tact-full and yet informative??

1) What do you consider is a "satisfactorily" appropriate sag?

2) Would you consider yourself a major "+" ... or..."-" to the average GL rider weight of ...say...200 pounds or so?

I have Monotoobs and a Progessive rear spring. I want to know if I should be worried (because I am after reading this thread).

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Best of luck with the new suspension.

Be sure to disable the Anti Dive after putting on the Progressive Monotubes.

We have a similar setup but instead of a new Triple tree we went with a fork brace but glad we upgraded.

BTW, used to be stationed at a base near Roseville called Mather AFB. Nice riding up there in the Sierras.

Thanks, Yes I bought the spacer to disable the anti-dive.

#When Mather was open I'd watch B52's fly over, those engines would scream. I live in the flight path of the now decommissioned McClellan AB, Its a base for the B747-400 SuperTanker, in 2017 for about a week several tankers were fly in and out dealing with all the fires in Calif.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Just measured the fork sag, over 3 inches, Progressive Monotubes, Traxxion triple tree, new seals and bushings on the way.
A fellow member (20 20 vision)is doing the same upgrade, he’s close by will be tag teaming,
A ride last Saturday was deciding factor, it was paved road by more suited for A bike with good suspension, like my old Vstrom or GS. Beat the **** out of me and horrible through the twisties. Felt like my Dads old 68 Buick Electra, we called it Das Boot.
A couple questions, what is the spring rate of the monotube spring/damping kit? Are you gonna address the old rear shock? Cause if the forks are sagging and worn out, just imagine the condition of the rear shock. Just curious, not looking to criticize your build.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A couple questions, what is the spring rate of the monotube spring/damping kit? Are you gonna address the old rear shock? Cause if the forks are sagging and worn out, just imagine the condition of the rear shock. Just curious, not looking to criticize your build.
Actually a Progressive rear spring is on its way.

I bleed the shock actuator, that helped. It now starts compressing the spring a 1. before it was 8-9.

Reactions: tamathumper

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Thanks, Yes I bought the spacer to disable the anti-dive.

If you don't install the lock spring and the rest of the hardware at the bottom of the left fork, the antidive will be disabled-no need for the spacer between the antidive halves.

An advantage to this is that with the hardware missing, if you need to remove the monoshock you can do so without having to dismantle the fork.

Reactions: rtbmrgl
1 - 9 of 9 Posts