GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok....So I’ve been using 10/40 synthetic blend Honda oil since I purchased this bike in September of 18, the shifting has been pretty much as expected Clunky to say the least and a tad hard. This time I went to the 10/30 Honda HP4S and during our ride today I can tell a difference in the shifting, the clunk it still there but feels much more positive and smoother is how I can explain it. I don’t believe I will go back to the 10/40 I was using, I can’t say it’s because of the full synthetic or the 10/30 as recommended or a combination of both. I’m happy with the results that were made, don’t want to start an oil bashing I’m just sharing my results.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the manufacturer calls for 10/30, why run anything other? Synthetic or not. Just my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Sometime we wayyyy over thing things

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
If the manufacturer calls for 10/30, why run anything other? Synthetic or not. Just my opinion.
There goes someone with their opinion again.....

Geez, Gringgo, I've seen you around but are you just now getting to the great Oil debate party???

The debate will continue and likely will be settled sometime around the year 2047, when most bikes are electric, and people say, "Oil??? what's oil?..."

Anyway, it would be a great experiment to have several Goldwings with different oil in them. A bike with New Dino, one with old Dino, new Synthetic, oil Synthetic, etc and have all these "experts" on this board ride them not knowing which is which and then have them grade each bike on what they thought it had in it...

I suspect there would be no consensuses and even Fred and Greg would not be able to pick them out...

·
Registered
195 Posts
There goes someone with their opinion again.....

Geez, Gringgo, I've seen you around but are you just now getting to the great Oil debate party???

The debate will continue and likely will be settled sometime around the year 2047, when most bikes are electric, and people say, "Oil??? what's oil?..."

Anyway, it would be a great experiment to have several Goldwings with different oil in them. A bike with New Dino, one with old Dino, new Synthetic, oil Synthetic, etc and have all these "experts" on this board ride them not knowing which is which and then have them grade each bike on what they thought it had in it...

I suspect there would be no consensuses and even Fred and Greg would not be able to pick them out...
Yes, @Destindoc, I am new to the oil debate. I don't have an opinion outside of viscosity. Dino oil or man-made, I think the manufacturer's viscosity should be followed. I mean, they actually designed and built it. Maybe they know something?

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Yes, @Destindoc, I am new to the oil debate. I don't have an opinion outside of viscosity. Dino oil or man-made, I think the manufacturer's viscosity should be followed. I mean, they actually designed and built it. Maybe they know something?
I agree with you but stating that Honda actually knows what they are recommending is practically speaking blasphemy around here! Many think Honda is just nuts with their oil recommendations. Especially the change interval.

Me... I just use what they recommend. GN4 10/30. Call me crazy... But, I'm sure Greg is proud of me.....

I change it every 8,000 miles or once a season if, and only if, the mileage is over 6000 miles since last change. Less than that and we'll ride it a few more miles. I never change it at the end of the season just to get that "fresh" oil in there before "storage"... God help me.

I'm trying to see if I can blow up this GW engine doing normal, recommended maintenance...

I suspect I will fail..... :p

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts

Something to consider, take a look in the owners manual, 10/40 is recommended, depending on the temp range you ride in. Nothing wrong with either, but you'll find our Wings can be picky, with some liking different oils than others.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I agree with you but stating that Honda actually knows what they are recommending is practically speaking blasphemy around here! Many think Honda is just nuts with their oil recommendations. Especially the change interval.

Me... I just use what they recommend. GN4 10/30. Call me crazy... But, I'm sure Greg is proud of me.....

I change it every 8,000 miles or once a season if, and only if, the mileage is over 6000 miles since last change. Less than that and we'll ride it a few more miles. I never change it at the end of the season just to get that "fresh" oil in there before "storage"... God help me.

I'm trying to see if I can blow up this GW engine doing normal, recommended maintenance...

I suspect I will fail..... :p
I followed Honda's recommended change interval, and I won't do it again. 8k is way too much. Maybe it's my hard riding style, but 8k is way too long, IMO. My oil was way past life.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I followed Honda's recommended change interval, and I won't do it again. 8k is way too much. Maybe it's my hard riding style, but 8k is way too long, IMO. My oil was way past life.
You based that on your Blackstone oil analysis I gather...

Oh, I see... it was your opinion...

Just because an oil is "black" doesn't mean it's past it's life...

But, fresh oil never hurts... even Cruiseman said so in a recent video, so it must be true.

Me... I'll keep pressing for 8,000 miles. I'll let you know when I have an oil related failure.... :)

·
Vendor
16,590 Posts
Ok....So I’ve been using 10/40 synthetic blend Honda oil since I purchased this bike in September of 18, the shifting has been pretty much as expected Clunky to say the least and a tad hard. This time I went to the 10/30 Honda HP4S and during our ride today I can tell a difference in the shifting, the clunk it still there but feels much more positive and smoother is how I can explain it. I don’t believe I will go back to the 10/40 I was using, I can’t say it’s because of the full synthetic or the 10/30 as recommended or a combination of both. I’m happy with the results that were made, don’t want to start an oil bashing I’m just sharing my results.
5th gen transmissions shift best with new oil and cold weather. If you have both, great. However, having one (new oil) is very noticeable and many will think the oil they just changed to is by far better that the old oil that was just removed. In reality, it is new oil. Also, by design our transmission are a constant mess design. On a molecular level, constant mess transmissions are very hard on oil, and will tear the molecule apart. It is called shearing ... you can look that up, but I believe the oil has lost it cushioning property but still provides lubrication. Therefore, at some point your transmission will become very clunky and this will probably happen well before it has 8,000 mile. For me it happens at about 6,500 miles ... to avoid that, I change my oil every 4,000 miles.

As for oil, the best oil for 5th gen Wings continues to be Honda's conventional GN4 10w-30. Synthetic oils in 5th gens can cause problems.

Reactions: 98valk

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa you guys a "killing me" with the 8,000 mile oil/filter change..........Being an oil changohlic I could never go the 8,000 mile B4 changing (I don't care what the book claims) I change my oil sometime three/four times a season (and always before putting her away for the winter hibernation period) I know for a fact that as I'm cruising down the highway on my $30,000+ dollars trike, that there will never be any :poop::poop: floating around in my engine....
I guess that I'm also a cleanohlic cause I can never go for a ride w/o my trike being washed/sparkling clean, and everytime it rains I sit in my garage with headphones on and rock out to
Led zeppelin while I wax away.... God do I just love R-E-T-I-R-E-M-E-N-T ( My only concern about being retired, was "why" didn't I retire at 16 yrs old instead of waiting till I was 55 years old??) I wasted 39 years of my life working two jobs a day...........

Ronnie

·
Registered
195 Posts
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa you guys a "killing me" with the 8,000 mile oil/filter change..........Being an oil changohlic I could never go the 8,000 mile B4 changing (I don't care what the book claims) .

Ronnie
I followed the 8k and won't do it again. Recommendation?

·
Registered
441 Posts

Excellent !!!!!

·
Vendor
16,590 Posts
Interesting about the cold weather. Are you saying shifting remains better, even at operating temps, if ambient temp is low?

G.
I believe I've found that to be true. It'd be interesting to know if the air going into the engine is say 45 deg how much lower the oil temp is then if the air temp is 85. My guess is the oil temp could easily 10-20 degs lower.

·
Vendor
16,590 Posts
I followed the 8k and won't do it again. Recommendation?

For me I do oil changes every 4k, while others choose 5k. I chose 4k because according to the Maintenance Schedule a 5th gen is suppose to have some sort of service every 4k, and it's easiest for me to do it all then.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
5th gen transmissions shift best with new oil and cold weather. If you have both, great. However, having one (new oil) is very noticeable and many will think the oil they just changed to is by far better that the old oil that was just removed. In reality, it is new oil. Also, by design our transmission are a constant mess design. On a molecular level, constant mess transmissions are very hard on oil, and will tear the molecule apart. It is called shearing ... you can look that up, but I believe the oil has lost it cushioning property but still provides lubrication. Therefore, at some point your transmission will become very clunky and this will probably happen well before it has 8,000 mile. For me it happens at about 6,500 miles ... to avoid that, I change my oil every 4,000 miles.

As for oil, the best oil for 5th gen Wings continues to be Honda's conventional GN4 10w-30. Synthetic oils in 5th gens can cause problems.
I only had a 1000+ miles on it since August of 19 so it was still pretty new, I’m pretty sure it the 10/30 viscosity oil. If the constant mess transmissions are so tough on the oil then the synthetic would be a better fit as to not tear the oil down do to friction and heat.

Anyways will see how it does over the summer out here in Ca.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I think I'll look into SYN the next time around. My oil was blacker than any oil change I've ever done previously and almost like water. I'm going to change before the recommended 8k in the future.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts