GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
Could be wrong, but I don't think a 250 would sell very well in the USA....now make it a 750,800 or even 1000 and it may....

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The sad thing is that I might wind up with two WR250s. One for dirt and the other for street. Missing out Honda...

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could be wrong, but I don't think a 250 would sell very well in the USA....now make it a 750,800 or even 1000 and it may....
Look at the sales figures for the Ninja 250. It's one of Kawasaki's best selling bikes. Guess Honda thinks it can't compete...

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Why can't anyone make a nice inexpensive Parallel twin anymore? I had a CL350 that was the cat's meow!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Go to your local BMW dealer and ride one of these....

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
Look at the sales figures for the Ninja 250. It's one of Kawasaki's best selling bikes. Guess Honda thinks it can't compete...
Well, I did say I could be wrong...let me say this, I wouldn't buy one.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Go to your local BMW dealer and ride one of these....

Yes, for about $15,000. Which, come to think of it, is about what Honda would want for the 250 in the U.S. if the DN-01 pricing is any indication. Honda is smoking crack on their pricing these days.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Why can't anyone make a nice inexpensive Parallel twin anymore? I had a CL350 that was the cat's meow!
Kawasaki Vulcan 500. A cheap, light, fast inline twin.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Buy from whomever has what you need. I don't feel any brand loalty to any manufacturer. If they have what I want great, if they don't I go elsewhere for what I need. Honda, nor any other brand, is the end all be all in motorcycles. If I had the means I could think of a whole bunch of motorcycles I would like to have in my garage and they are from many different manufacturers. As they say, variety is the spice of life.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
By from whomever has what you need. I don't feel any brand loalty to any manufacturer.
I don't either. I've had bikes from all of the big 4 and have loved them all.

I'd love the VTR250, because it is a light sporting standard with a modern high-output engine. There is not really another bike in this segment. You can get the gutless Nighthawk 250 or Suzuki TU250, or the Ninja 250, which is a great ride with great power for a 250, but with sportbike styling and fairing, or a WR250, a Super Moto, which is not bad, but not exactly the style I'm looking for.

In the end, I'll probably go with the WR250 and love it, like I've loved every other bike I've owned.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I'd totally agree that a larger selection of small and intermediate bikes would be a great thing..
The main reason for the stellar sales of the Ninja is the low seat height.. In '08 they redesigned the Ninja 250 completely.. It's now a REALLY capable bike with great power and handling.. Certainly not just a "beginners bike" as it was originally meant to be.. I know a couple folks who take these to track days..

·
Registered
267 Posts
If this vtr250 is low to the ground it would be a nice entry level motorcycle for vertically challenged segment (F) of the population. As another respondent indicated the 250 Ninja is Kawasaki's biggest seller. Actually, I like to see Honda put the VTR1000 engine in a similar frame. I love V-twins that actually produce horsepower as oppose to producing noise. I'd be a buyer:shock:

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If this vtr250 is low to the ground it would be a nice entry level motorcycle for vertically challenged segment (F) of the population.
Seat height is 30.5", same as the Ninja 250's.

My reasoning on getting a 250 class bike for the back-roads here, is that I'd prefer to be able to thrash a bike in the twisties here as opposed to loafing through them or going insane speeds.

That's a big part of the reason I love the Wing. It's a challenge to push it through the tight twisties, and, to me, much more joy when you get it right.

My Burgman 650 sees almost no use because cruising through the twisties near the speed limit is no challenge at all.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
My reasoning on getting a 250 class bike for the back-roads here, is that I'd prefer to be able to thrash a bike in the twisties here as opposed to loafing through them or going insane speeds.
Most any current 250-500cc bike will do insane speeds in any twisties.. Motards and little sport bikes are a lot more capable than they were a few years ago.. Pick up an older 250 or 500 Ninja, the seating poistion isn't too extreme, you can get higher bars if needed and the older bikes are nimble but not as powerful (of course they don't handle as well either)..

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I got tired waiting for Honda to come out with another bike with the likes of their Magna V65 and its awesome performance. Thus my '97 Vmax and now the new '09 Vmax. If thrills is what you want and lengthening your arms so your hands are close to the ground so it would be easier to tie your shoe laces without bending down, then the '09 Vmax is waiting for you. ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts