GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm riding down the road and the DCT is in 7th gear. I anticipate passing a car in front of me so I tap it down to 5th gear. My question is this; I tap it once and it drops to 6th. I quickly tap it again and it drops to 5th. If I do not release the button will it hold 5th gear until I do?

Tks for all the info!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Mine don't, it will shift back up again as soon as the condition are met. With mine being a trike more power is needed to move the heavier bike/trike and 2-up is even worse. Best solution I have found is to manual shift it and avoid 7th gear unless I can maintain speeds above 55.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I found switching to sport mode while using cruise is the best. Power when you need it and 7th gear cruising when you don’t.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
No, holding the downshift button down does not make it hold the gear until letting up on the button.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Tap to Sport, or tap to manual and drop gears.

In Tour it will drop down, but it does work it’s way back up when it thinks it can. Of course you can always tap it back down again.

My preference to squirt by someone is either Sport or Manual.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I don't think switching modes will get you the quick response you want and I could be wrong on this but I think once you switch modes, your speed has to drop before the new mode becomes activated, hence quicker just to use the paddle shifter.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I don't think switching modes will get you the quick response you want and I could be wrong on this but I think once you switch modes, your speed has to drop before the new mode becomes activated, hence quicker just to use the paddle shifter.
Yup. You’re wrong on this.

Tapping from Tour to Sport is instantaneous on my DCT. And so is tapping tapping to manual.

I may close the throttle intuitively to tap in anticipation of the pass. Surely everyone is bright enough to figure this out on their own.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't have a DCT; mine's a manual. Just trying to gather some operating info before possibly making a switch.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts

Tapping from Tour to Sport is instantaneous on my DCT. And so is tapping tapping to manual.

I may close the throttle intuitively to tap in anticipation of the pass. Surely everyone is bright enough to figure this out on their own.
ill have to check this. it seems when i do it, it flashes a bit and ive always unloaded the throttle to make it switch, which is what i thought was necessary. i hope youre right

regardless, ive never put myself in a situation where a down shift or two werent enough to overpass, in Tour mode.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Nearly all of these questions come down to the ability of the rider to adapt to the machine ... and this is true for every motorcycle, not just this one.

I was not able to adapt to the old Wing myself. So I’m not saying that I am more adaptable than someone else.

But there are sequences that imprint in both muscle and brain, to different degrees, in most of us.

I suspect that every person who is not happy with the DCT has good reasons FOR THEM. but many, perhaps most of these, don’t necessarily extrapolate to others. And this includes me. Just because it works for me, and just because my manual ZX14R also works for me, doesn’t mean they’re good choices for someone else.

I dunno ... I’m kinda thinkin’ that it’s pointless to explain. Like Frank Sinatra said... “Don’t complain. Don’t explain.”

·
Registered
466 Posts
You always have to unload the throttle before it will actually switch modes. It will only flash until you unload the throttle.
This seems like it ought to go without saying.

It is not an obstacle.

If you are not alert enough to prepare for the pass, perhaps deeply engaged in your tunes, then certainly changing modes after the throttle twist will be disappointed. But doing this once ought to be enough to teach you to plan ahead next time.

I guess we’re really mostly old guys ... although a remarkable number are still capable of adapting. But everyone’s not. And some are capable but unmotivated.

·
Love The DCT
12,020 Posts
You always have to unload the throttle before it will actually switch modes. It will only flash until you unload the throttle.
If you have cruise control engaged, you can change ride modes without touching the throttle.

:doorag:

·
Registered
193 Posts
So I'm riding down the road and the DCT is in 7th gear. I anticipate passing a car in front of me so I tap it down to 5th gear. My question is this; I tap it once and it drops to 6th. I quickly tap it again and it drops to 5th. If I do not release the button will it hold 5th gear until I do?

Tks for all the info!
I usually just give the throttle a good twist and the bike will down shift on it's own like it knows what i'm doing, if not I'
ll just give the down shift one push and be ready to up shift if needed.
Pbr

·
Registered
8,305 Posts

This seems like it ought to go without saying.

It is not an obstacle.

If you are not alert enough to prepare for the pass, perhaps deeply engaged in your tunes, then certainly changing modes after the throttle twist will be disappointed. But doing this once ought to be enough to teach you to plan ahead next time.

I guess we’re really mostly old guys ... although a remarkable number are still capable of adapting. But everyone’s not. And some are capable but unmotivated.
No wonder people get confused. :lol:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I just run in manual all the time. A touch of the paddle puts it in the gear I want......immediately.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts